Yoyo legends

Ed Haponik

16 Likes

I’ll add:

Dave Schulte (a.k.a Dazzling Dave)
Linda Sengpiel (a.k.a The First Lady Of Yo)
@yoyodoc
Kyo
Frank Difeo
Dale Bell
Ben Conde

1 Like

Bo jack and all the old duncan guys.

Takeshi
Tetz
Ringca
Hayward
Coons
Freeman
Brown
Brock

Im forgetting a million.

5 Likes

jake bullock is still king!!!

mgodzilla

sunny…

4 Likes

Met coons at my university. One of the nicest people. I imagine he has moved out of my state now, but truly he was such a nice person.

Isaac sams too

1 Like

Lots of good names here but we gotta mention Jon Gates!

3 Likes

If by divison then here is mine:

1A: Jensen Kimmit, Yuuki Spencer, Hiroyuki Suzuki, Christopher Chia, Takeshi Matsuura, Janos Karanc, Ryota Ogi, Shinya Kido, John Ando, Zach Gormley and the underrated Gregorz Wojicik and Petr Karka

2A: Shu Takada, Shinji Saito, John Ando, Dave Geiger, Takuma Yamamoto

3A: Hank Freeman, Kentaro Kimura, Hajime Miura, Minato Furuta and underatted Ng Wang Kit

4A: Naoto Okada, Rei Iwakura, Hajime Miura, Michael Nakamura, Ben Conde, Tsubasha Onishi

5A: Takeshi Matsuura, Sora Ishida, Takuma Inoue, Naoya Takeuchi

The reason I would not put Evan and Gentry is legends because of the controversial result in 2014 and 2018 and Evan’s tricks is not as technical as fellow US yoyoers like Yuuki, John Ando, Tyler Severance or even Augie Fash

No hate but this is base on my opinion and been following the game since 2011.

3 Likes

I took a hiatus from keeping up with the comp scene from late 2013 to 2020… can you explain this a little further?

So… these Division lists only consider newer players from when you started paying attention?

And of course, why mention Paul Escolar? His arsenal of tricks was the foundation of complex 1A yo-yo tricks. And many of his tricks are still amazing today, especially considering he did them mainly using plastic yo-yos with no advanced internal technology whatsoever and cotton or slick six string.

So, you wouldn’t consider Mark McBribe a Legend, even though it is well documented he Invented 3A?

And, you wouldn’t mention Steve Brown, even though he is recognized as the founder of 5A?

And you would slight Evan and Gentry and their individual Amazing accomplishments because of ‘scoring’ irregularities, even though they have nothing to do with what scores ‘others’ give them?

And you wouldn’t even mention Ben McPhee, who, along with Hans Van Dan Elzen, have done as much or more for the entire state of yo-yos, Worldwide, than any other 2 people you can think of?

And you wouldn’t even think to mention Johnnie DelValle, whose Grindslave and other videos help pave the foundation of what quality videos should look like?

And of course you wouldn’t even think of mentioning somebody like Daniel(Zammy)Ickler. A guy that doesn’t compete but does trick so far outside the box, you would need a map to get there?

And you failed to even give a mention to Charles Haycock. A guy that that can do tricks that can literally reshape your brain?

Uh, I’m not saying you missed a few people. I’m just saying you missed some True Legends.

Your list is fine ‘for you’. I mean after all, it is ‘your list’.

It could just be that I have been paying attention since about 1997 so my list would be a little more genuinely accurate in identifying Legendary Status.

No big deal.

7 Likes

Totally. I think this thread only mention in term of performance.
But really this is word from the one who one who has seen more than most of us. It is like not mentioning Takahiko Hasegawa when talking about who is the pioneer in soloham.

2 Likes

It was back then when everone favorite is Takeshi Matsuura really score the performance. The 2014 was less known for its controversial because Gentry really pull out great performance. But in 2018, Takeshi performance is really outstanding, it was super technical and unique, it is like he is the one who start the whip and slack trend again after Zach did it. But he is 2nd and everyone just question if the performing point like audienece interaction and jumping around should be reduced because there are many tech player out there and some of them really can’t jumping around on stage.

2 Likes

10 Likes

That is an outfit!

Building miniature ships in bottles takes immense skill. It takes hours and hours of technical craftsmanship.

However, miniature bottle ship building will never be a spectator sport, there is no performance and no showmanship.

Yoyoing is a spectator sport; it is intended to wow an audience. Performance and showmanship are key elements.

Audience interaction and “jumping around,” as you called it, get the crowd, which you are preforming for, engaged.

If they can’t entertain while throwing, they can’t preform a key element of the show.

4 Likes

Alan Batangan should be here

1 Like

OMG. My bad. I totally forget about wrist wrap king, the man who take 2A to another level

1 Like

Yo forgot the GOAT, “Mr. Yodel” aka John Higby.
Greatest Yoyo Show on the Planet.

1 Like

There are dozens of posts in this thread.

Why would you respond to my reply and single out that I forgot him?

I mean other than the fact that you seem to just scour the board and wait and watch for me to post something so you can try to make something out of it.

I think you need to do something else to stay occupied instead of using me as a backboard for your three-point attempts.

It’s almost like you singled me out as a Nemesis.

You literally Boast about being a Troll.

But how can you solve Global Warming and reduce the Earths’ Carbon footprint if you waste valuable time jerking my chain?

WORD

Did I just date myself?