Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

I’m thinking of protoing a full size wide boi out of steel, looks like this:

The walls are mostly like, .7mm.
I don’t really know how thin I can go, but .7 seems ok.
At least at the prototyping stage it will become clear :smiley:

9 Likes

That looks epic

1 Like

3D CNC Titanium printing. Ive seen this done in cycling. Probably do a Yo-Yo, technology these days

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cd6F39bgfZ1/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Metal 3D printing has always interested me. It might not be the end all, but making a blank and just machining the surface might be the go to with them.

That surely looks really precise, gotta look at the prices on that tech.

2 Likes

im really new to the yoyoing scene (1 month new) and would like to learn to model and make yoyo, but where do i start

2 Likes

This thread should get you started.

2 Likes

So I’ve done some modeling for a yoyo and I’ve finished! Here are some picture

5 Likes

6 Likes

7 Likes

Oh man! This is pretty awesome! I would absolutely love to pick on up whenever you decide to put them on sale. I’d give a crack at installing a modern bearing seat into it and maybe give the yoyo a powder coated finish. The bearing seat design you implemented potentially could have been revolutionary for the time. I don’t think the modern bearing seat design came out until the mid 2000s, @yyfben2.deactivated would know the answer to this.

2 Likes

Oddly the first bearing yoyo had a similar bearing setup with oversized inner race.

CAD/Visualization tooling updates!

I found an interesting Blender plugin called Sverchok nodes, which allows direct interaction with FreeCAD files from within a node tree view in Blender.

Sverchok: Welcome to Sverchok’s documentation! — Sverchok 1, 2, 0 documentation
Blender: https://www.blender.org/
FreeCAD: https://www.freecad.org/

The setup for it is a bit wacky at the moment (requires a specific version of Blender, 3.2.0, and running some command line stuff on your computer to pull the correct FreeCAD binaries/library files into a directory for Sverchok to use) but the results are making my workflow simpler.

Previously, I had to export DXF (2d) drawing files from FreeCAD, import them into Blender, then add a Screw modifier to “revolve” it into a solid. This workflow was repeated for ANY change.

Now, after linking together the node tree, if I change something in FreeCAD, I only need to press the UPDATE button on the ReadFCStd node and it brings in the changes.

Example node tree with 4 objects (Shell, Cap, Bearing, Hub), the steps used are:

• File Path → For selecting the specific FreeCAD file
  • Read FCStd → Reads a part out of the FreeCAD file (one per part, in my case)
  • Solid to Mesh → Converts the “Solid” output of the previous node into a triangle mesh, I am currently using the Standard mode and adjusted the parameters to make the result pretty high fidelity.
  • Mesh Viewer → Outputs the Mesh into Blender’s scene, where I can apply regular Blender features like materials
  • Matrix In → I am using this to scale all the parts to 1% of the original size, since there’s a scale mismatch between the default units in blender and FreeCAD.

The initial setup is a bit of a pain but it’s worth it, I think!

9 Likes

Here’s one of my private projects for my dream yoyo that will probably not be produced, the M-ACRO-SS.

Took some key designs from my old throws back in 2015 plus the latest yyr models.

(rebellion acro for profile, dome cup from yyr ae models)

Its a bi-metal construction that has a titanium rims and 7068AL

Specs are:
Diameter: 55mm
Width: 48mm
Gap: 4.9mm
Weight: 64grams

8 Likes

i’m currently designing a yoyo in fusion 360, does anyone have the yoyofactory axle specs and thread designations?

As a starting point for 6061 aluminum, use a 10mm or 12mm long m4 axle.

edit: Coarse thread

3 Likes

what’s the thread designations and diameter tho so i know what taps to use

m4x0.7

4 Likes

thank you

1 Like

The Plasmid
oversized throw

planning a bimetal called the spliceosome once i’ve got the size and weight worked out

9 Likes

the spliceosome! a smaller bimetal version of the plasmid

5 Likes