Yoyo Bearing Question

I messaged him ok. Let’s A-Team it!

3 Likes

I have sent ChrisFrancz my email to forward to TheThrowingGnome. Thanks to everyone for being so kind, by the way, I really didn’t expect anything other than being told my bearing was dead.

3 Likes

The VIP bearings are very good. What you want to do is get a second one. Yours is simply gummed up. It’s got crud in it. After buying plenty of new throws you’ll find that every once in a while you’ll get a “loud” one from the factory. They just need to be cleaned throughly.

Acetone is my go to. When one is ready to be cleaned I leave it overnight in the acetone bath. Grab your spare and your back in play. The next day find a good implement to “spin the bearing out”. I use a chop stick. Let it dry another couple of minutes and you’ve got a viable spare.

Deshielding is recommended heavily on this forum. Find a good bearing cleaning video on YouTube. There are plenty.

I use NO lube. Run them dry. The amount of thin lube is a delicate procedure. Too much thin lube with create a responsive setup.

2 Likes

Done. Not dead. Just needs love. We all went through the same thing at one point!

1 Like

Thanks! I tried soaking the bearing in 99% isopropyl earlier and it definitely helped somewhat, I’ll look into deshielding as well.

3 Likes

Maybe leave it in longer and shake the jar around. Got cats or live with animals?

2 Likes

I have two absolutely adorable and amazing (but shedding) dogs. That is likely what the foreign object is, now that I think about it. And I’m going to deshield the bearing and soak it until I get back from bowling later tonight, I’ll update when that is done.

3 Likes

I made a couple of edits if you want to revisit my post. Good luck, stick with it, it can be frustrating sometimes with a fussy bearing. In all likelihood there’s just something trapped in the bearing race. Clean it, Spin it out, tap it on the desk, spin it, clean, continue until she’s nice and smooth.

3 Likes

Bearing is soaking in isopropyl now, I’ll do the other steps once I get back home from bowling with family. Thanks to you and everyone for all the advice and support.

3 Likes

Got it DJ. I’ll be in touch for your shipping deets.

1 Like

Look here for a bunch of useful tips, including bearing info…

5 Likes