Yo-yo binding in middle of trick- Ninja Vanish

Yeah but,

Sounds like you’re the one just looking to start a fight…

I’m not, but maybe I am a little frustrated at this point.

OP - Did you clean the bearing? I re-watched the video several times, and your technique isn’t bad, I just think you need to clean the bearing. TopDeck is one of my favorite throws, but the OD bearings do need some break in time to be totally unresponsive. I’d either throw it for a while, or–and this is what I do–clean the bearing in acetone. (Or just get a centering bearing.)

Yeah, I teach guitar and I get the same thing with, “Shouldn’t he learn on acoustic first? I’ve heard that way it will be easy to play the electric later.” Kinda like saying, “Put the kid on a bucking bronco first, then it will be easy for them to ride a trained horse!”

1 Like

Oh man. I love this analogy so much.

2 Likes

I personally don’t care what bearing I’m using, but how can you categorize that a CT bearing is better in every way?

Also, why does it matter what bearing you are using? If someone says they can’t hit a trick because of the bearing, all that really says is they haven’t really learned that trick.

That would be like Michael Jordan saying he didn’t play that great because he wasn’t wearing his Air Jordan’s. The shoes don’t make the player, and likewise the bearing doesn’t make the player.

As a long time guitar teacher, I know what you’re getting at, but also it will be easier for them to go to electric later. But I realized a few years into teaching that if someone has no interest learning acoustic, just put them on electric it’ll make them stick with it. It will make it harder for them to learn acoustic later though ;D :wink:

I never said it did make the player. I’ve just had a lot of discussions with a lot of people an no one can tell me how or even why they prefer flat bearings. (past, “I like them.”)

However, there is a marked improvement in spin time and stability for me when using a centering bearing. Sure, I can probably hit all the same tricks with a flat bearing. Heck, I might be able to hit most of them with my DM 1 also, but I know it would be a lot harder to do so.

That’s what a lot of this comes down to though, whether you like it or not. CT bearings don’t require much from a player, they keep the string centered so it doesn’t rub the response.

That’s what’s really cool with all of this equipment we have today, it allows everyone to get what they want out of yo-yoing. You can get stability monsters with CT bearings, that will hardly ever go off plane and spin for days. For me though, I’m the type that I don’t want things to be easy (or easier), I will lose interest in something if it’s easy, probably why I like fixed and responsive so much. Not saying that unresponsive is “easy” but aspects of it make it easier.

That makes sense I guess, but if I ever want to be challenged, I just look up some harder tutorials, or play fixed.

As long as the bearing is working properly I don’t notice much performance difference when I swap a flat for a centering bearing. I doubt in a blind test that most people would notice a difference either, it’s just a preference thing.

Every time I try one of these blind tests with my yoyos, I smack myself in the head! ;D

I do think there are differences/trade offs. To me centering bearings do offer more stability, handle string layers better, and are generally more forgiving. Flat bearings feel more lively to me. While flat bearings are less stable, they react more quickly to adjustments, giving a feeling of having more control and feedback. I think some binds are easier with flat bearings.

Thank you! That makes sense. And in spite of way to much discussion about it, it’s the most well reasoned response I’ve gotten.

I prefer centering/profiled bearings, but I will be the first to say that the difference is absolutely minimal. I have never come across a trick that doing with a flat bearing I just can’t do it, but then with a profiled bearing it’s easy.

We’re talking about super diminished returns here.

No, I haven’t cleaned the bearing. I’m trying to learn Kamikaze, Spirit Bomb, and Black Hops at the moment! The other day I saw a Brandon Vu video on youtube about ceramic and stainless steel bearings. He said the ceramic bearing in his Shutter made his yo-yo feel totally different.

Yeah ceramic bearings are odd, seems you either love them or hate them. There is a different feel with them.