Would you attend a yoyo "convention?

This is something I’ve thought a lot about and I wondered how people’s reactions to this idea would be.

I go to numerous non yoyo related conventions in the year, and they are always a great time of community and fun with panels, workshops, little side events, parties, etc. And I have wondered, what If there was an event of this kind for yoyoers? Where competing isn’t the big focus of the event and instead, community, learning, and fun?

Of course a lot of this happens at yoyo contest as well, but it’s also true that for a lot of people who are serious competitors, they’re time at these events is a bit more focused and serious with the competition goal in mind. Maybe a more casual event without the contest pressure would be a nice rest for them also?

At flow art festivals they host “showcase” events where people can go on stage and perform their skills without it being a competition, and instead a showcase of unique moves and tricks. How cool would it be to have a yoyo freestyle showcase where the focus isn’t on placing the best, but showing something groundbreaking or unique?

With this kind of idea in mind, what are your thoughts? Do you think an event like this could be successful? Would you attend an event like this? And do you think yoyo companies would help sponsor an event like this?

Personally I would love something like this and I hope one day I can help put something like this together.

26 Likes

100%. The best elements of contests for people that aren’t competing are very convention like in nature. And most people don’t have local yo-yo meets to meet that desire of interacting with fellow yoyoers.

6 Likes

I love this idea!

3 Likes

I’m there! I used to go to comic book conventions in the 80’s. This was the days before Comicon and all hype and TV and movie stars showing up for the paparazzi. All of your ideas sound great!

4 Likes

I’d go to one if it were near me. I think the problem is proximity, the same as a regular contest. The bigger the contest the further people travel though, so maybe a once a year convention would work.

5 Likes

I used to go to juggling conventions across Europe, and I learned and shared a lot there.
Now I have less time for that, so I would probably not go to such an event unless it’s like 2, maybe 3 hours from home max.
If it was near enough I would certainly do all I can to attend!

2 Likes

I’d go.
Good idea.

2 Likes

How about if we held ‘at’ your house?

Would you go then?

2 Likes

What about social isolating ?

1 Like

I would absolutely go.

3 Likes

i’d only go if @yoyodoc would go… and if he brought a convertible…

i’d enjoy attending something like this…

1 Like

Having experienced this at flow festivals, I 100% support this.

1 Like

Yeah I would appreciate this a lot more than a competition!

4 Likes

I had thought that our monthly “Throw Live Atlanta”, event might expand to include that element. I just wasn’t sure we’d ever get big enough to make it worth the time, effort, and distance vendors would have to travel.

As we grow it might become possible, at least to host vendors as they are available. Might end up being only one at a time at best.

This is not, and connot be a permanent situation! Social distancing let alone “Social Isolation”, could be even more unhealthy than Covid 19 in the long run for the human species.

4 Likes

Lets see what happens in 9 months :grinning:

1 Like

At least we have forums like this, to keep us somewhat connected! :wink:

6 Likes

We could have it somewhere like Trebarwith Strand.
Yoyo and a paddle :smiley:

2 Likes

I had to google that place, bit far North for me :wink:

2 Likes

In normal times, yes. Just please try to avoid Vegas during July and August.

2 Likes

Well Cornwall is a ahem huge country :smiley:

We used to holiday in the area when i was little. Boscastle was also another fave.

2 Likes