Windows Phone

My friend has a Nokia 920, and he simply puts up with is. If he could he would have an android, specifically a Nexus 5 or 4.

It can be compared to an even worse version of iOS. Limited to no customization. There isn’t even an option to root/jailbreak the phone, despite it being on the market for well over 2 years now. But what is worse is that all the apps available are hacked up versions of the originals on the Droid market or iOS App Store. The homescreen always looks cluttered, the phones themselves aren’t very good quality (my buddies 1st Nokia (before the replacement one came) had broken volume and power buttons before even half a year, and the charging port melted one night on his nightstand just from charging). It’s redeeming quality is the camera sensor, as it does have lots of options and good low-light pics, but IMO that isn’t worth putting up with the cluttered OS and hardware issues.

Get an Android: Easy as hell to mod (The Nexus series comes with its own recovery menu, the menu you would use to install a new version of the Android OS), and can make it look and work just the way you want with themes, apps, and widgets.

…thats the entire point of live tiles,changing size,making them look like your background,and/ or making them a pic. Each tile can be part of a pic and it can look sick.
Am I the only one watching “V.S” vids of windows phone winning???

You also can’t have an actual background photo, only one for the lockscreen x) Those videos could always end up beIng sponsored by Nokia ;o

For many years I had iPhone and now I have android on my nexus 7 tablet and recently I got Nokia 520 and my sister has Nokia 1320. And I must say I love windows phone!

I’m European, so prices of phones can go here really different(nothing like big discount with contact) . IPhone 5, 5c and 5s are so expensive, I don’t even care about them. And older iPhones are just outdated

Windows phone is faster, more stable and easier to maintain than 95% of androids. If you are looking for cheaper phone, Nokia is much safer choice than risking some random chinese android or truly horrible low end phones from big manufacturers. If you have money for flagship model sure androids like Samsung s5 or LG -G2 are great choice.

Sure you don’t get thousands of useless apps and boring games as android(I uninstalled 99% of them from my Android just few days after installation) , but all core apps you need daily are working flawlessly on Windows phone. Advantage of Nokia phones is also free offline maps and navigation, no need to buy dedicated app.

Setting background picture? I remember 12 years ago it was big hit, nowadays I want to do work on my phone and get all info ASAP, for that live tiles are best.

Sure you can root android way easier, I was doing it even with my windows mobile 5 like eight years ago. But you don’t need that in modern world unless you are tech geek who needs to fiddle with everything.

Windows phone is not ideal, there are few problems like missing quick settings from Android or better keyboard, but I think all these problems will be gone with Windows update this summer. And update will be available on all windows phone 8 devices, not just on few selected devices like Android.

Don’t take me as Windows phone fanboy, I love my nexus 7 and it’s my main device. I’m sure I would love some flagship android phone or iPhone. But my low end Nokia 520 and sister’s middle class Nokia 1320 are just excellent choices in their segment and I will recommend them to everybody.

1 Like

I have a nokia lumia 520. I got it for $99 no contract, but its usually on sale at $59 off contract. Considering the fact that its capable of anything more advanced windows phones can do (except crazy good pictures) and has windows phone 8.1, its an absolute steal. Most of the no contract androids at that price point only have up to android 3.0. The vital apps on google play and app store are all on windows market, but there are a much smaller amout of apps. The interface is very customizable, simple, easy to read, and is user friendly. There is almost no crashes on the apps and updates are always avalible. As a plus, nokia mix radio (incuded in all the lumia phones) is literally an adless and offline (and online) version of pandora, and its free of course. I have never had problems with accesing the internet or youtube, and with the new windows phone 8.1 update comign up it’ll make the windows phone a much more formidable competitor to andriod and ios

I’ve never had a windows phone but I lived with windows 8 for 6 months and I must say it was TERRIBLE. Much slower than windows 7, harder to access files and things that were easily accessable on windows 7, and many other things. If the windows phones are anything like the windows 8 I had to deal with, I wouldn’t go for one.

Oh and another downside is if you drop a Nokia in the toilet you have to buy a new toilet :frowning:

LMAO ^^^

I have windows 8. It is not “TERRIBLE”. You just have to get used to where everything is.
It is also not inherently slower than windows 7. if it ran slower for you, that would have been the fault of something other than windows 8.

At least that’s because the phone is going through it and the phone stays fine. The iphone will do the same thing but that’s because it explodes in the toilet.

Seriously bad to this? These are the stupidest pics. You dont even know what your taking about, those are the old nokias that weren’t touch screen. Not these ones. God…

Lighten up, son… :wink:

If Windows 8 was “much” slower than 7, you’re either doing something wrong, or have a computer that was just barely capable of handing Windows 7’s Aero and you had it turned off. My guess is is that you did an OS upgrade and didn’t bother updating drivers or something silly.

As a general rule of thumb though, if you’re on Windows 8, be sure to use Windows 8 drivers, and make sure to reinstall/update drivers if you do the 8.1/update 1 updates.

I highly doubt you couldn’t get used to Windows 8 after 6 months… You either intentionally didn’t try, majority of your Windows usage is based totally around the Start Menu, or have some deeper problem going on beyond the scope of Windows 8.

[quote=“Bina,post:24,topic:65224”]
I have a feeling you’re pulling that 95% out of thin air. I’ll assume you’re also talking about actual modern-day Windows phones too, but your claim would be like me stating my mouse is better than 95% of other mice (there’s far more cheap mice available than actual higher-end ones).

As for a cheaper phone, it really depends on what you’re looking for in a device. The phrase “you get what you pay for” does apply. You buy some cheap $100 phablet from a no-name OEM, of course you’re likely to have a bad experience compared to a $300 Nokia phone.

The “thousands of useless apps” that come pre-installed on devices don’t come with every Android device. If you pick up some $99 phone from say, Sprint in-store, then yeah, your phone is going to be bloatware-heaven most likely with crap like Carrier IQ, music services, and whatever other useless spyware apps you can think of.

Also, free offline maps and navigation isn’t a Nokia-advantage. My Android devices all have offline maps and navigation, for free. Google Maps is just that cool 8)

I can agree with this, but if you’re spending hundreds of dollars on a device, wouldn’t you want the ability to do what you want?

Nexus devices specifically work great as-is without rooting. But if you should go down that route, you can easily and safely.

“all windows phone 8 devices”. If there’s only a handful of said devices, then yeah, it probably wouldn’t be hard to deploy such an update to them all.

I will agree though that most Android OEMs have a bad track record of updating their devices. Only defense I can use there is, don’t buy from such an OEM then, or get a device that has driver sources available for easy community updating (such as Nexus devices or Oppo N1).

I’m sure Windows Phone is pretty good and all, but to me, it’s just like most other phones for the most part. Restrictive and expensive. If I’m spending hundreds of dollars for something, I better be able to do whatever I want with it without having to gain permission from someone (like switching carriers) or be punished for it (like flash counters on Samsung devices and loss of warranty).

If I had to get a phone right now, i’d be a Nexus 4, given that I can get it for a low price anyway. Otherwise, if I had the extra funds, I’d go for a new Nexus 5. Moto G (Google Play Edition) looks pretty cool too. I really can’t understand why people pay $500-$800 for a more restrictive phone other than just being attracted to buzzwords and hype.