Why are there no commentators for competition?

Why are there no commentators in yo-yo competitions? I think it would be great to have someone announcing what they are doing, pointing out styles, tricks, etc. Someone with a sense of humor and trick knowledge. I think it could be much more entertaining and open it up to the non throwing muggles.
Is there any video out there already like this?

17 Likes

Good idea

Genius! It would actually help newbs like me understand what the competitors are actually doing up there. @AndreBoulay this could be a twitch channel that I’d actually watch.

7 Likes

I’m imagining some UFC style commentating for yoyo competitions and just thinking about it sounds awesome!!

4 Likes

That’s a fun idea

1 Like

Player misses bind

Announcer - Oh no, he just blew it!

3 Likes

“He’s caught in a triangle!”

5 Likes

I figured the people who are qualified are already busy as judges.

2 Likes

Are we conveniently forgetting the time Russ Rockwell (John Bot) and Steve Honkey (Abe) commentated the entirety of the 2009 Finals? Pure gold.

(Name a more iconic yo-yo duo. I’ll wait.)

7 Likes

I think because so many things happen in such a short period of time it would be difficult - if it were done live anyway like golf.

7 Likes

And Steve Brown commentated the WYYC in 2007 for “the best damn sports show ever”.

2 Likes

Japan National’s live steam had Shinya Kido and Yu Kawasaki commentating. As long as both an uncommentated and a commentated version is available I think it’d be a great idea. I always like watching people’s Scales freestyles in the long live stream because you can see the judges reactions, the clicks, and hear commentary on it right afterwards.

4 Likes

1 Like

Was that worlds, nationals, or something else?

There have been. But it takes effort to set it up though and we real small community but as long as there are some guys willing to go for it…

eg.

European contest 2014 by Steve brown, and worlds 2014 in the same place commentated too.

Japan Nationals couple weekends ago was Japanese Commentary by Shinya Kido.

Scales Collective commentated 2019 worlds on live stream and a few contests before that. They on their game for online content so I have a feeling they will be pushing that when more IRL contests happen again.

7 Likes

We should get the holey moley commentary team… rob riggle calling worlds…

1 Like

I know at least one former competitor is now a full time commentator for hearthstone esports, so…

1 Like

As much as I would love to see commentators. All I’m picturing is someone talking as fast as an auctioneer at a cattle auction.

3 Likes

If Rain Wilson can Netflix commentary Evan, Betty and Keiran…

Quoted for emphasis. I want to see some myself given it apparently has happened. Hell, even partial credit for a retrospective breakdown of a freestyle would be cool.