Why are there no commentators for competition?

Unless you have someone really good who knows and recognizes the moves instantaneously, don’t bother. Things happen so fast they’re gone before most can say it.

3 Likes

I would like to see @DocPop do a live commentary…

“And there’s some neat slack trick, into a Gondola thingy. Man he’s doing pretty good this round. And looks like a double-or-nothing, to a… ooops… He knotted his string…
Here, let me show you a quick way to properly do a beefhook-cheese whip while simultaneously doing a purple-monkey-dishwasher version of Kwyjibo on a fixed axel. It’s really not that hard, the first part, just throw a Trapeze…”

3 Likes

It wouldn’t be compelling to hear over a live routine imo.

I think there’s a market for highlights and post-produced commentary after having studied a routine, but I think live commentary would be a lot of reactionary "oh that was cool! Did you see that? " and by the time you’re able to get the words out describing what trick you thought was really cool, we’re 15 seconds past it.

I’m not saying people couldn’t make it entertaining, but I think good/useful commentary is a happy medium between fun and informational, and to do that live over a routine you’ve never seen would be TOUGH.

7 Likes

I think your comment makes perfect sense. Kendama competitions are similar to yoyo competitions and they frequently have commentators. Makes the competition more interesting and Kendama tricks are as fast as yoyo tricks, so no reason there.

2 Likes

I think the guys from Battlebots should do it.

“HUGE HIT THERE KENNY!”

Ivan

3 Likes

It’s a cool idea, I agree with what a few others have said though. It would be tough to do over a live routine. Having a post-produced, play-by-play video breakdown of a freestyle with commentary could be very interesting, informative, and engaging though. Especially if there was high-speed footage that could be played back in slow motion for more in-depth commentary on complex moves.

6 Likes

By the looks of the table they were probably up for anything that came along.

3 Likes

triumph
My nomination:

2 Likes

I rescind my previous statements. I want this.

1 Like