What year of butterfly is this?

http://www.yoyomuseum.com/museum_view.php?action=view&subaction=exhibit&exhibitid=2166

1 Like

Thanks doc! :slight_smile:

Just to let you know, this could easily be a 1968 or 1969 model as well. :wink:

1968 was the first year of the plastic Butterfly. I thought (could be wrong) that in 1968 they were using the Butterfly sticker on the cap (or screen print), like this one:

It’s tough to say exactly, with 100% certainty the exact year of that Butterfly. Those were made from the mid 70’s through the early 80’s. Late 70’s and early 80’s are a little easier to tell. They began to coat the axles with a material in the late 70’s (78 or 79). Those usually aren’t rusted out, like the earlier ones get.

Not to disagree with Rick (from the post Doc made), but I always thought that version was mid 70’s, around 1975-1980. The progression I was told was: Wooden, Plastic with stickered cap, plastic with embossed small butterfly logo, plastic with large embossed butterfly, translucent butterfly in the early mid 80’s.

2 Likes

Well; I’m certainly no yo yo Historian, lol.

Here are a few pics from Luckys’ Book>

2 Likes

Was thinking about pulling out Lucky’s book when I got home as well ;D

The decal/silk screen version must’ve just been a year or two. Then the Large stamp.

Does it say, was the small stamp prior to the bright colored version? Maybe I had it all backward. Maybe the small stamp was first, colored silk screen, then large stamp :slight_smile:

Really digging those Butterflies you guys are showing off!

Here is my little Butterfly collection :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now I have to learn how to shoot and add photos to the discussion so that I may show off my Butterfly collection.

I really like the green with orange caps. Seems like combinations of yellow white and orange are more common from that era.

Love the collection! I have this one. Just put a fresh kitty fat on it and gave it some love. Very satisfying. Thanks for the suggestion.

Is there a way to get rid of the rusty spots on the axel so it doesn’t chew string really fast? Could I take some type of chord and rub it over the axel enough to lessen the spots?

I don’t know if theres any easier way, but I had some success using a thin picture hanging wire on mine. Just wrapped it around once and pulled it back and forth until I got most of it.

Okay, thanks! :slight_smile: I will either try this or try to find something similar :slight_smile:

The green one I believe is very early 80’s, prior to the translucent ones. All the one’s I’ve seen from the 60’s-70’s have been white/yellow/red in different combinations.

1 Like