What tips are out there for a Fixed Axle beginner?

The legend is a surprisingly amazing yoyo for $10.

2 Likes

My experience is primarily with older TK, BC and other legacy types. Newer manufacturers maybe be different. Admittedly they are not gross, but a short conditioning does not hurt. It’s not like they’re string breakers, but neither are they fine sanded. Maybe it’s just habit or learned behavior.

I do not know about Chapstick but I have tried tambourine wax and it worked ok.

Tambourine wax…

Learn something new everyday!

I’m bettin the Chapstick is probably cheaper but the idear of a younger guy reading this and going “What’s a…tam-byu-rIne?” Is amusing me.

1 Like

Update on axle smoothness…
Just got my Hildy Currier today. The axle is very smooth compared to what I’ve seen on older wooden yoyos. Smoothness on older TK and BC yoyos was hit or miss at times.

2 Likes

The Currier’s are SO good! Love all of mine. Did you get one of the new take apart designs?

And this is why I didn’t buy an expensive wooden yoyo to start with. I’ll wait until I feel a bit more competent. This is what happens when you don’t pay attention.

^Just building character!

1 Like

Yes, it’s the take apart design. Nicely done. Not big on the response holes though. May fill them in.

1 Like

I’m going to throw my $0.02 on the whole chapstick thing…

for the most part I make my own cotton string, as a couple of years ago, YYE was out of Type10, and, I needed string. That said, my homemade stuff needs some throwing to get the ‘final’ tension right. I use the chapstick on the loop of my homemade string to give me some response while the tension is setting. I haven’t used chapstick or just plain beeswax on other string as the commercial stuff seems right straight from the package. I still make my own string mainly because I’m stubborn and I’ve got a huge spool of cotton thread. I still use the string that comes with the fixed axle, when I buy a new one.

All of this said, just throw your yoyo and enjoy it. Don’t worry about dings, scratches, divots, patina. In my mind, wood looks better once it has been naturally distressed through use.

1 Like

So the waxing makes it more responsive? Is there a way to make it spin faster or do I just to be more diligent in policing my string tension? Not that I need it to spin faster. Just out of curiosity.

To make it spin faster, throw harder! :smiley: :wink:

For me, the Chapstick seems to make the response more consistent, and I think it spins at least as long.

1 Like

I agree with this. Spin time is not effected much if at all. More consistent response is the name of the game.

2 Likes

So, I tried without the Chapstick and I jut tried it with the Chapstick (I keep getting knots I can’t get out and I’m on my third string, now) and you know what I figured out? I do t think I’m good enough at this, yet, to tell the difference. And while his videos are impressive, I don’t feel I’m learning as much from Drew Tetz’ videos. They don’t fit my learning style. But the dude does some awesome stuff. And while looking him up, I found a video, I think from 2011, with him, Ed Haponik and some other people doing a fused axle shootout and one guy (maybe Ben Conde) was doing iffstring tricks with a wooden yoyo. Dude!

That just gives it character.

I know @vegabomb now has a Legend Wing… you liking it relative to your other fixed axles?

I do like it yes. It seems a bit lighter than the Eh or TMBR yoyos I normally throw fixed. Makes for a different feel for stalls.

2 Likes