What sells yo-yos?

Impulse sells me all of my yoyos :-\ haha

I’m surprised no one has mentioned players winning large contests.

I’ll bet Duncan sold more Barracudas after Janos won World’s.
Do you think the Shutter would’ve sold AS AMAZINGLY well if Gentry didn’t win Nationals?

or even without them being a signature item… do you think Yuuki winning '07 world’s with an 888 had an influence on the sale of the 888? I do.

Other than the fact that I love Zach’s tricks, it’s a win for Chris/CLYW when Zach won Nationals in 2012…

Yeah, but that is just because of all the freaking hype involved with CLYW and OneDrop and all those other high dollar companies. I would own every CLYW if they costed less, but instead I only own one. See what im saying? If CLYW’s costed $60, I would own like 6 of them, which adds up to more than the price of the one I own. People would buy more. Im no financial expert, but it seems like they would make more profit that way. I know they cost more than that to make and all that, but in a perfect world…

They dont need to lower their price. They have limited capacity to produce yo-yos and still sold out everything. If they lower price, more people would like to buy, but they simply cannt make more yo-yos without some changes, that would cost more money. So lowering prices would mean only less money for Clyw.

Clyw is right now in position, where they can even try to increase price! For some time, sell everything 10-20$ more. Most of them will still sells and if not, they will just lower price back to actual price and sales will be fine again. You might remember, Cliff was selling even for 165 if I remember corectly.

Yes, but their costs would be 6 times higher (assuming that cost per yo-yo is fixed) for 5/3 more money in.

Haha guys I said “in a perfect world” for a reason.

The name Jensen Kimmit :stuck_out_tongue:

For sure hype sells…but as a owner of many yo-yos from different brands, I can say that different yo-yos suit different persons.
It took me through different yo-yos to know which suited me, such as shape, weight and size. Some brands stay true to their designs though colorway is very much a personal preference (it does nothing to help performance).
I started with dark magic, I applaud Andre to help me get started, but I found the yoyo too heavy and was way too counter productive to aid me through tricks.
Then I went through a stage of binge buying based on hype, brand based attractions and player-based signature yo-yos; from this experience I found what really suited me, my style of play and what did not.
What really sells me on a particular yoyo or from a certain company can be summed up as such:

1. Particular shape that suited me e.g. classic or H-Shaped,
  2. Weight and size,
  3. From the company that brought me to realise my perfect match of a yoyo which suited me before,
  4. Material (titanium or aluminium),
  5. Price point
    From the above points I will share my personal opinion and experience ( I repeat…my personal opinion only):
    A) I liked H- shaped yoyos…works for me so I tried yoyofactory protostar (great yoyo but prefer metal), so…when rock star came out I was sold!
    B) When oxygene came out with Ti 9.06, again I was sold based on specs and catered to my style of play.
    C) Colorways do nothing for me and I understood sponsored players’ signature yo-yos are just that…it suits their style of play not mine.
    Just my 2 cents. Thanks for reading.

I think it’s because of the search for that mythical Yoyo that is just perfect and everything you asked for all in 1 Yoyo.

The simple idea that you ‘need’ it.

Read up on Edward Bernays (Freud’s nephew) for the techniques used. He also changed the old title of such from ‘propaganda’ to ‘public relations’ since it sounded better. :wink:

This is half good sponsoring and half good marketing.
YYF is amazing at this. Take a yoyo or design, tweak it, plaster say “Jensen Kimmit” on it (cough northstar cough) and sell x3 the yoyos you would.

That isn’t a coincidence. That’s very good marketing.

He could have just as easily used a Protostar.

I think he could have used a $1 yoyo and still won.

That’s not the point I was making. The Protostar was already an established yoyo and Jensen using it would drive sales up just as it did the Northstar right?

No, it would have different effect. With Northstar, it was different model than Protostar, something new. So even people with Protostar would go and buy, not because he use it to win, but to see, what is different. If he used Protostar, people with Protostar would be like “cool, he used yo-yo I own” and no new sales comes from that.

I buy based on reputation on this forum and how they look. I personally like greenish yo-yos, but other colors will catch my eye if they’re cool. And if lots of people like how a yoyo plays on here, then chances are I will too.

CLYW have great colors, art, videos etc. They do a great job of marketing a brand that really appeals to me. Unfortunately they are too expensive for me to buy.

G-squared and a handful of other companies interest me in the same way. They don’t have as polished of a brand as CLYW but I’d buy them.

Some yo-yos, like the Shutter, are well regarded and priced great, but I don’t buy them because I think they are ugly.

Yoyos are toys. I don’t need them so I might as well be picky. If it were a hammer I wouldn’t care.

But brand is the most important thing. And that’s a total of all the little things. Webpage, videos, what the sponsored players look like and the clothes they wear, colorways, design shape, etc. I want to buy a yoyo from a brand that matches my personality or at least one that I wish I fit into. :slight_smile:

1. a company repeatedly sticking pictures in my face of a yoyo that has colorways that appeal to me. specs that appeal to my general preferences help but if it looks amazing i will often give it a whirl regardless of specs

2. forum/facebook/other social media with owners of a yoyo sticking their awesome yoyos in my face after a yoyo is released that i passed on in the past but might consider purchasing in light of what others say about it

a company could make the most amazing looking best performing yoyo on earth, if they dont find a way to shove it in my face repeatedly or get it in the hands of others to shove in my face then i will never know about it and thus will never purchase it. the same applies to any product

1. specs… if it spins that probably helps. If it’s tailored to what people like in terms of weight and dimensions it will sell better.
  2. Sponsored players are huge. Seriously. If somebody enjoys a player on a team they will probably want the yoyo.
  3. Possibly the most critical for a lot of people, make the thing pretty.
  4. Performing well is also kinda critical.