What is everyone's favourite tricks to do on a responsive yoyo?

NOOOOOOOooooooo… DocPop I thought I was going to be the first person to gravity pull with the head stock of my banjo! Well, if you’re the first, at least the Neil Armstrong “First Award” went to a deserving recipient. I was going to do this on my GT CC-100RW. Dangitman :slight_smile:

You could still be the first person to do a gravity pull with a banjo that is in tune :slight_smile:

6 Likes

There is no such thing as a banjo that is truly in tune :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks to the OP and everyone who listed their favorites. I do Brain Twister, flips like Shoot the Moon and sometimes Near Miss my Face.
I now spend oodles of time learning unresponsive, 1A play, but when I walk my dogs I love to just grab the LED loopers and go Round the World a few times to release stress for a while before forcing myself to learn to loop more than 3 to 4 times in a row. But there’s a magic to when a responsive yoyo stops sleeping and obediently zips back all on its own, to players and watchers alike, no matter how old or simple it is.

I enjoyed this thread and will keep it bookmarked. So many people pipe up proudly in responsive threads announcing they never played responsive, like they’re gifted and skipped a grade or something. It’s way more than a beginner stage only. I’m glad when I see merit still shown to it, instead of just ubiquitous comments like, “Why don’t people just learn to bind?” That’s like asking why people who ride a horse don’t learn to drive a car.

7 Likes

or, linking trapeze stall, makin’ da zines, dump trucks and brother stall…you could go all day (I couldn’t, but you or Ed could)

3 Likes

AaronW, you are a good man. Kwijibo on a fixed axle or even my OG Alleycat is a real knuckle buster for me.

1 Like

I just love how silly responsive tricks can be, while also having a touch of grace/precision, it’s also the thing most people think of when you say yoyo, I put some throws in the mail today, and the guy at the post office lit up when he read I was sending them on the customs forms, he stated that he had not yoyoed since he was a kid, and I had a good laugh with him. Thanks for posting!

3 Likes

Reviving this thread cause I miss it): now that the weekenders are out in the wild, lets see/hear about some responsive tricks! @DocPop has been doing some sweet things with 5a lately, and here’s a little trick I filmed on mine!

5 Likes

Shoot the moon. It was one of those tricks I wanted to learn as a kid but couldn’t figure it out for the life of me. My 1 attempt had me almost get clobbered in the face too so that didn’t help much. These days though, a clean shoot the moon feels so satisfying.

3 Likes

Right there with ya, especially when you get in a rhythm and don’t have to think about it!

1 Like

My favorite is throwing the bowling ball forward pass dealio, stall, regen, trapeze stall, then yelling obscenities while I fail ONCE AGAIN to land a kickflip.

Any tips on kickflips? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Make sure you’re string tension is neutral so the loop stays open.

3 Likes

Smart. I keep poking the yoyo though. Just super inaccurate.

To start learning them, try pinching/holding the loop when you flip it. Try not to make really big motions, and not move your nonthrow hand too much. Generally it’ll flip back close to where your non throw hand is.

Also use your knees more. I’ve learned that a lot of 0A tricks are a lot like kendama.

5 Likes

I second the Kendama thing, a lot of similarities there. I would also practice a static suicide to get a feel for catching the loop, the two feel very similar. Good luck!!

2 Likes

Will do! I got my first Kendama yesterday in my huge Duncan shipment, so maybe it’ll help!

1 Like

Sweet! Was it a venom? That was my first kendama, they’re pretty good for a first one imo

1 Like

Tape measure

2 Likes

Lunar Landing and Varials (which are just string-pull Shuvit hops).

4 Likes

Basic trapeze stalls and double or nothing stalls. Satisfying to the maxcore yo

1 Like

I’ve been digging the @DocPop Sweater Combo

4 Likes