What did you throw 2023?

Snappy.

25 Likes

Enjoying this pink/yellow psychedelic Butterfly.
So cheap, yet so good. :ok_hand:

23 Likes

23 Likes

I ordered the set and they should arrive today.

2 Likes

Alt Bastet, Tantalizing, and Antarctica.

23 Likes

Practicing my looping at the park

13 Likes

Can’t believe 2024 is now here🤢

25 Likes

Some of us still stuck in the past for another day :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I sure hope we get to six thousand on this thread before the year ends.

6 Likes

This was snagging left and right and I finally noticed one of the pads had completely let go. I thought I’d replace just the one, but the glue on the other one let go with a little pressure. The first pair of replacements I pulled out seemed to have expired also. Luckily the second set I had seemed ok. It’s a little compulsive that I care that mowl pads go into it, but the binds are nice with them.

20 Likes

I am actually throwing two, the unprld flash original and the yoyo friends tiny

19 Likes

(WARNING!…if you have a fear of reading books or other text related difficulties, please exit the first door on the right. There is honestly nothing that will improve your life by reading the following story.)

So…… here I am staring at a yo-yo.

It’s a Titanium Thesis.

I bought it from one of the guys on his forum a few years ago. He seemed to need money at the time. And his yo-yo was just kind of sitting in his BST with no bites. So since he needed the money, and I didn’t have a titanium thesis yet, I decided to help the guy out which is not unusual.

I will mention here that the yo-yo is black. And if I didn’t know any better, unless you know metals With any degree of technical familiarity, you wouldn’t even know if this was a titanium yo-yo by looking at it.

One of the easiest ways is to just give it a good spin, and flick one of the Halves with your finger or hit it with a pencil or a pen. The sound that it makes upon impact will immediately give you a pretty good idea of what it isn’t.

My personal concern once I got the yo-yo, is something that may only bother me.
And that is that I love the simplicity of the visual impact of titanium. Whether it’s a yo-yo, a knife handle, a carabiner, my titanium, bicycle, or pretty much anything made of titanium. One of the beauties to me besides the amazing properties of the metal itself is the way it looks in a brushed or polished state.

For example, if somebody gives you a gold watch you rush, right down to a custom plater And asked the guy to chrome finish it for you. You obviously have a mental issue. I just like the look of titanium and no color that I’ve ever seen has better visual impact than the natural color of the titanium metal itself.

I seldom ever throw the titanium thesis around. Of course, with my hoard of yo-yos, I guess I could say that there’s a whole Lotta yo-yos I seldom if ever throw around. But I do have a soft spot for titanium. And I think the main reason that I don’t bother to pick up the thesis is because it’s black and it just appears to be a monumental yo-yo. I don’t care much for yo-yos anyway. As a former custom, exotic car painter and Harley motorcycle builder, for a few decades I painted so many things black I grew to not like the color.

I must admit, without reservation, that a jet black, Porsche, or a jet black custom Harley motorcycle is hard to top for sure, visual impact, and simplicity.
A black Porsche may be all blacked out hardware rims, whatever just black. The color and the shape is something that you can positively wrap your head around

On a black motorcycle, it’s either blacked out or the black contrasts with all the chrome or polished aluminum, here and there around the frame tank and fenders. That contrast chrome and black, so deep and rich and shiny it looks like it’s wet, pretty much goes without saying if you don’t like to look at that you don’t like anything.

But a black yo-yo is small. No matter how black it is, or whether it’s blasted frosted powder, coated or whatever, it’s just small and black, and a list of shape is pretty dramatic, it just looks small and black and not that impressive in my opinion.

If it’s a bimetal and has polished or brushed stainless steel rims, or brushed titanium rims or colored rims, then you have a contrast to me, more interesting, and positive visual impact.

Anyways, I put down the black titanium yo-yo, and started looking around at something else to complain about. And there it was a ‘D Runner’.
A Titanium yo-yo I bought from Dizzo on the forum. He has a known hobby of anodizing titanium yo-yos, basically one at a time. And then he sells or trades his jobs for other titanium yoyos that he can operate on. well, here we go again, a friend looking to move a yo-yo so that he can move on to his next project. I wanted to hook the guy up and I didn’t have a D runner so all of a sudden I have one. Actually I’ve had it now for probably a year or so… Can’t remember?

I guess because I just got done staring at the black, titanium yo-yo and shaking my head, when I looked at the Dizzo yo, I immediately had an epiphany. As soon as my eyes focused on the yo-yo, I saw right through the Ano and realized there was, some beautiful titanium underneath it. Dis does pretty good anodizing, but no matter how good is anodizing is I still focused on the fact that there was natural titanium that I could appreciate even more because I just like to look of it.

I never thought of stripping down the whole. Because when you’re looking at a yo-yo, you’re seldom looking at the entire yo-yo unless you got eyes on the ends of little flexible, antennas or something ha ha. Verbally you’re looking at the side view or the gap view. Obviously, the other view is a three-quarter view, which is like looking at a car when you’re standing 20 feet away from the side of it Towards one end or the other. From that vantage point when you look at a car or yo-yo, you’re seeing the side in the back or the side in the front and it’s something to wrap your head around and just gives a different sensation.

Went down to my shop and Chucked the halves up And just cleaned them enough to remove the anodizing and put a brushed finish on the parts. What you see in the included pics are the result of one of the simplest mods I ever done with the results most pleasing to me.

The Runner is an excellent playing yo-yo… Still has Dizzos handiwork on the sides And has a clean and natural looks of the titanium in the gap view.

I think what I’m gonna do now to just get a second wind of enthusiasm on enjoying my thesis, is to leave the cups black and clean the body up back to natural titanium and then I think it will be more of a looker… I’ll find out soon enough

Anyway, here’s what it looks like now and I hope at least a few of you guys that enjoy titanium like I do can see why I did what I did.

28 Likes

Awesome job! Looks amazing like this! The first thing that came to mind is that the d runner looks just like the new rso burger.

2 Likes

Throwing one of my faves of 2023 this morning, the Reboot.

23 Likes

Better a Sparrow in hand…than hundreds flying!:palms_up_together::baby_chick:

23 Likes

Thinking about 2023 and looking forward to more in 2024!

Mk1xTRT Bathysphere and TRT Cenote

32 Likes

5 Likes

g2 mongoose

23 Likes

This looks awesome
I love the contrast of the anodized (did-o-dized?) cup against the raw Ti. Dizzo does great ano work so it must have been tough to decide to remove some but I think the result is possibility a better look than the fully anodized piece. Especially if you were looking for raw Ti anyway.

Nice work

Enjoy the throw
kgb

3 Likes

Eric @fatguysnacks247 ftw!

[Edit: whoops, I was looking at the URL, not the post counter on the right. Not sure how they got out of sync, but they started out the same, but by about 2000 they were different for whatever reason]

4 Likes