What caused you to stop learning new tricks?

I hope everyone stays cool lol. I don’t be trying to generate any heat… I know from experience that some people can take things the wrong way and not how was intended, thats why I always let people know that there is nothing wrong with these things and that I’m just a curious person. I love psychology and the mind. Everyone thinks different ways so I want different outlooks and perspectives

1 Like
  1. it’s fun to just cruise. i could probably just cycle between split the atom and shoot the moon for the rest of my life and be 100% content as a yo-yo player.

2. i put the energy i once invested in learning tricks into making up my own tricks.

3. hang on i DO still learn tricks when i see one i think is cool!

13 Likes

Great response my friend. I can understand that. When you stop I would say you went atleast 6 months to a year without learning anything new

1 Like

Great response! Its so refreshing to see your skills. I love watching your vids on Ig. One day I’m gonna pick up 0a because of you. I was putting creating and learning in the same category though… If you are creating you are learning. There is always something to be learned when creating

1 Like

Guys please keep in mind that this isn’t supposed to be a debate or “controversial” con·tro·ver·sial

adjective

1. giving rise or likely to give rise to public disagreement.

“years of wrangling over a controversial bypass”

This is me just curious about the VARIOUS different reasons one might stop learning. There is absolutely nothing to debate about.

I’ve noticed that when I make a post that includes “I’ve noticed a lot of people”…Things can start to go south and thats where it becomes controversial because people start trying to defend other people or something. There is nothing wrong with these people that I have noticed

4 Likes

You’re good, dawg. Don’t even trip. I think bottom line is that it’s inherently more fun to just play around with what you know rather than grinding for the delayed gratification that comes with learning a new trick.

4 Likes

That’s why I enjoy learning about other peoples thought process and how they feel about things. For me personally… when I do the same few elements over and over and over again… I get really bored and thats when I don’t want to yoyo. As an individual and how my mind works I get bored when I’m not growing or learning and things get repetitive… For me its like trying to eat the same meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every single day… Eventually this would make me sick and the food I once loved… I would never want to eat again… But this is just how I work, I’m not everyone else. This is why I’m curios to know the many reasons why one would stop. This post is simply state your reason… You never know… someone out there might need help learning and just don’t know where to turn to

2 Likes

Hmm. I’m not sure I’ve ever gone that long without learning a new trick, but maybe I have. Let’s assume that I have. In that case, what caused it would have been the fact that I have many hobbies that compete for my time, and I tend to go through them in cycles. Since Summer 2018 (when I got into yoyoing) there hasn’t been a single day that I didn’t have several yoyos out and ready to be played, but I have gone fairly long stretches without playing any of them.

Like all my hobbies, I eventually get the urge to throw and I start playing again. Sometimes I am inspired by a trick video I saw, or maybe just the appearance of a new yoyo model that catches my eye. So far I have not yet entered a lull period in which I lost interest in yoyoing enough to just give it up entirely. I doubt that will happen for a very long time.

5 Likes

What other hobbies do you enjoy? See this is a great response because it educates me… You mentioned that your reason could simply be because you have many other hobbies and not enough time and that’s okay! Not everyone has to have a burning passion for yoyoing and need to get better. It can simply just be another hobby that you enjoy in some of your free time and that’s completely fine.

1 Like

The tricks I ended up learning just got harder and longer to learn. I start to incorporate elements of long combos into other tricks but my attention span does not really allow me to stay focused for to long. I am currently a graduate student so I read 4 hours or so a day and it is taxing. The chill factor from doing known tricks is real.

1 Like

Man thats cool! I know how much time school can take up. I think its fine to stop learning if you have a deep bag of tricks or anytime at that matter. I would def be fine if I didn’t learn anything new If I had enough tricks to keep me occupied

Speedcubing (this is somewhat recent), mech keyboards, board gaming (not just playing, but also designing and constructing), TTRPGs, 3D printing, drawing (not lately though), calligraphy (again, not lately), conlang writing systems, playing the oboe (I suck), music and music theory. Just to name a few… :wink:

8 Likes

I feel like what Christopher is getting at is something that most of us, if not all of us, go through. Like everyone has been saying, there can be a wide range of different reasons to stop learning new tricks. I found myself doing it awhile back and I relate to a lot of other posts on here when it comes to that. Now days I’m definitely much more motivated and such to improving as a player, although I definitely still have short slumps where I don’t throw nearly as much. Nevertheless, I have found that putting my own trick elements together and arranging them in different ways to sometimes create something new is in many ways what I prefer to do over say, learning a new trick from a tutorial (although I’m not knocking that at all as that is a fantastic way to learn and get more active with your throwing).

Anyways, I like this topic. I can see how it could get just slightly misconstrued but truthfully I think it raises a question that can be thought provoking at best and at least yield some interesting and really cool answers.

6 Likes

That’s awesome man! Super cool hobbies and you have a lot of them. I just do filmmaking, photography, yoyoing, and gaming right now.

2 Likes

You understood exactly what I was trying to get at. Couldn’t have articulated it better myself.

3 Likes

I only recently started going after new tricks. I got through about 50 or so tricks on the Yotricks app, and hit a point where learning new tricks was more about remembering complex orders of elements rather than learning new elements and I got kinda overwhelmed. After getting into 0a style play I learned how to flow more and now am back to learning new tricks but more from a standpoint of how I can link the elements I know together with weaves and whips/slack. I think I would have gotten stuck if I hadnt discovered 0a.

5 Likes

I want to try 0a

3 Likes

Nice, I’m glad to hear that people branch out to other styles

1 Like

dude its crazy fun. if you can snag a weekender or day tripper (i prefer the latter tbh), do it. its all about finesse and soft hands with soft motions. its so easy for me to just get lost in “one more throw” cuz even if i miss a kickflip suicide, i can do a quick double plus regen and be back in the trapeze stall and its like i didnt even miss lol.

4 Likes

Agree, 0a is the jam.

5 Likes