What are you throwing 2024?

Kinda figured. That’s a beautiful part of the country. Looks like an awesome hike😁

2 Likes

I love my loopers to be lightweight and have been hoping for some high quality lightweights for awhile. I’d prefer if they went even a little lighter than that but I’ll take it. Gna try to get one when I can thanks

I have had a similar experience to @hsb in that the Minitee seems to get better with time. I am not sure if it’s because of being broken in, finding the right string, practice and expectation adjustments, or what. It’s not a high performing yoyo, but I do enjoy it. Plus, it’s just so darn cute.

Do all CLYWs have a similar finish? It’s my favorite feeling of my collection in terms of finish, but my only CLYW.

2 Likes

19 Likes

i only have 1 clyw myself, but i can say that my avalanche has the second best finish for me in my collection. i feel like it’s perfectly blasted

1 Like

The modern ones all have that same blast, but just be aware that the blasts will wear down with enough play, so if you get one off the BST it might already be worn down a bit and start to feel stickier/look glossier.

5 Likes

My 4 for the next week, and it’s focused on playing with side effects.

I really love this innovation from OneDrop and I’ll be exploring the Deep State, the Rebirth, and the Legend Terrarian. Starting the week with ultra lights and micro caps (2.5g, 2.52g) and ending the week with brass energy domes (8g).
Also, big shout-out to Zipline Strings for curing my OCD for string storage.

19 Likes

Do you know if there is a way to buff/sand em when they do get glossy/sticky to make them more like the original matte-like finish? I have a couple I would love to get back to that feel if possible

1 Like

Vayder again, but now it’s polished. It’s so shiny :heart_eyes:

18 Likes

The only way to get them back to how they were would be to just have them blasted again. A friend purchased a sandblaster recently and has been blasting yoyos himself, so it’s certainly something you could DIY if you really wanted.

3 Likes

13mm vs 24mm focal length.

21 Likes

Nice! This is a good representation of this weird phenomenon I’ve noticed.

Some people’s (mine lol) yoyos can definitely look janky af in certain pictures. Or better, even, in some circumstances.

It’s a very hard thing to describe but your pictures showcase it beautifully

1 Like

The longer the focal length, the flatter the image. If you’re looking for the standard pro looking product shot, probably best to do it at the longest focal length available before digital zoom starts to kick in. That being said, I think the super wide mm lens on the Obsession vibes well with the crazy engraving.

Reminds me of an old yomega magazine ad type photo haha.

1 Like

I agree.

I certainly wasn’t meaning to imply that either of your pictures show the yoyo jankily :sweat_smile: you clearly know what you’re doing. Both of these show the yoyo off beautifully. Like you said, the top one really works with the engraving. And the bottom shows the shape well.

I’m more referring to every time I’ve tried making a sales post, my yoyos would end up looking way more round then they actually are or one half would look WAY bigger than the other half. Weird stuff like that.

I have much better luck now. I find that if you zoom in and just back up a little the shape comes through much truer.

Yes, product photos are improved immeasurably by photographers learning the fundamentals of optics (and caring about them).

3 Likes

Also phone cameras are pretty good now. Not as high of a bar to get a good picture in general

1 Like

Recent rotation

22 Likes

This morning. Bathysphere and personally 3D printed Hobby Horse.

22 Likes

Love seeing that Yellow Bathy!

6 Likes

Best bathysphere, hands down.

I have a laser fade, über ywet, and yellow.

Laser fade looks the coolest spinning.
Uber ywet looks the coolest just sitting on the shelf.
But yellow plays the best, like by a wide margin.

And what’s weird, it plays the best in the stock setup with the poly string that came with it.

My other two didn’t feel right with the center track and flat caps. Laser fade took a konkave bearing, brass ultralights, and a ZS.Air. Uber ywet needed a OD 10 ball flat, still haven’t found the right SE for this one but it’s playing pretty good with flats and a ZS.Air.

But yeah, yellow is just perfect with ONLY what came in the box.

6 Likes