Vague topic names

Yours is different, it was in BST and not in the general section.  Clearly was done to be humorous and not in a place that would annoy anyone.  I got a chuckle when I saw it…cause you got me.  :D  I clicked on it.  I think in BST when you are selling things…different story.  This is more for folks who do it on a regular basis, not as a joke, and it’s just the way they create their titles.

I spent a little time on this guide.  It is my attempt to offer a solution, rather than just be critical.  If I see vague titles, I might politely link to this guide in a PM.  It can be modified, so offer some suggestions, and if they are good ones, I’ll add them in.

This thread is reminiscent of threads where encouragement towards better use of grammar and punctuation are made. The concerns voiced and the suggestions made towards solutions are made in the best spirit and done with intentions of the greatest benefit for all involved. The problem is administration and enforcement to regulate any framework agreed upon.

Establishing parameters such as those discussed thus far certainly are not far off the mark with the direction they intend to take. The problem as I find it is that I have read remarks here from 11 and 12 year olds which surpass posts made by people twice their age in articulation and respectfulness. Admittedly the “vague topic names” usually come from our younger participants, overly anxious to generate meaningful conversation without sufficent content for cogent discussion. I fear however age limits or post histories used as a basis for establishing an individuals viability for contribution here may miss the mark and fail to adequately address the issue in the end.

It is my candid opinion that the nuisances discussed thus far are simply part and parcel of the function of open forums such as this one, especially one where the foundational object of discussion is yo-yos. Such boards are bound to attract a much younger demographic than forums of a different nature.

Just deal with it kids. It’s rampant across the intertwebs…

Yeah, I guess there’s nothing we can really do.

On a side note, I just saw someone with the license plate “JHB 824” in South Carolina.

That looks like a standard issue plate number - 3 letters, 3 digits.
If I wasn’t so cheap I’d get a personal plate with my name on it.

Back to the topic, one problem with a quarantine of new members to a newbie area is that not all new members are neophyte internet users. Many experienced, responsible people join forums every day. And my experience on other forums is that long time members are no better than newcomers in some cases.

1 Like

This is true. I think that what happened recently is coincidental. I believe that several new posters, who are inexperienced with forums, and are somewhat lacking in writing skills, all became extremely active at the same time. I think it is just coincidental and a phase, similar to the grammar thing, which is better now, as those new users assimilated into the forum to some improvement. I think what we are witnessing is no more than 5 to 10 new posters who have not assimilated yet. When they adjust, things will go back to normal.