Upgrade from YYJ Journey: DM2 or Puffin or...?

Lots of throwers live in Midwest; I live in Michigan.

You might want to think about picking up some thicker string for the classic. After I swapped out the response for slim cbc pads and put a standard spec bearing on I got a fairly loose bind. I was going to give up on it, but realized I bought some thicker string to try out. It is a personal preference, and I do not know if you will come up with this same problem.

@crazyshanky2
I’m just really used to getting interested in something and finding out that no one else within a hundred miles is interested in it :-.

@RandomThrow
Great, I’ll definitely keep that in mind in case I’m having trouble. Thanks for the tip.

Still looking for advice on how to mod the Classic and where to find out about meets around me if anyone knows of any resources. Regarding modding the Classic, I guess I just don’t know how to get the response it has in it out of it. And if the bearing is like the one in the Journey, I’m not sure how to get that out either–I’ve heard pliers mentioned, but that seems dangerous :-X.

The Classic mod is easy enough to do. The bearing should just pop right out without too much of a struggle and the rubber o-rings can be removed using a pair of tweezers or a needle. After that, give the whole area a bit of a wipe down with a cotton bud just to get rid of any gunk or whatnot that might be lying around. Peel the adhesive backing off the silicone response pads and stick the pads into the groove where the o-rings used to be and make sure to press down on it when it’s all in place so it sticks properly. New bearing goes in the same way the old bearing popped off. Screw the yoyo back together and away you go!

Yuki

Just start a thread asking about Midwest area throwers. And of course, there is always the forums to encourage you and help you on something you’re stuck on. :slight_smile:

@Yuki
Okay, that sounds easy enough. Thanks for the quick tutorial.

@crazyshanky2
I might do that soon (or at least search to see if one hasn’t been made already). I also live in a college town, so I may have to wait until school is back in session to find people around here. And yeah, from what I’ve seen the people here are extremely helpful; when exploring an unfamiliar hobby, being in touch with knowledgeable and helpful people can make all of the difference. Expect to see me around here.

I have one more question about this order. For the Classic, I got the YYJ SPEED Bearing which apparently comes dry: should I use thin lube on it? I’m leaning towards doing so because I didn’t like the noise and roughness of the Journey, but if doing so will defeat the purpose of the mod I obviously won’t.

Just pop the bearing in and go for it. If you must lube, either use a half a drop(if you leave the shields in) or remove the shields and use the needle method. It will take a bit to break in, but we’re talking like a half hour at most.

I will. :slight_smile:

What color Puffin did you get?

I picked up the last Yogi edition. Unfortunately it’s no longer listed on the Puffin page, so it’s pictures are gone. It’s the black, silver, and copper one on the right hand side of the picture below Palli’s video (on the Puffin page). I had a heck of a time choosing a string color for it: what goes well with metallic colors? I ended up going with baby blue, so we’ll see how that works out. Anyway, it was nice to see that you were so satisfied with your order–it makes me even more excited to give both of my new yo-yo’s a try.

@Studio42
Sounds good, thank you.

Clearly you have excellent taste (I almost got that one myself!)
I think you are really going to love the Classic and the Puffin. If for no other reason then that they are very different in the way they play.
Be sure to post on this here thread again after you get them. I’d love to hear your thoughts.