Nixie tube clock project

I have been working on putting together my first Nixie tube clock for about a year now. Really needed to share it somewhere so here it is.

22 Likes

So cool!
Is it 12 hour clock or 24 hour?

4 Likes

It can be either with a simple switch in programming. I will be running it as a 24 hr clock.

2 Likes

Does this use Arduino microcontroller?

2 Likes

Aye my man! Military time only :muscle:

1 Like

It certainly can, but this was built with a pre flashed micro contoller. This was sort of a lego build if that makes sense.

4 Likes

is this your first project?

I agree. Not to mention that adding an am/pm designator would complicate things.

1 Like

This is my first Nixie project. Not my first electronics project, though. Maybe i can dig up some of my other undertakings. Most notably i put together a 2w laser. That project required no programming and thats sort of my weakness at this point.

My 2w blue spectrum laser

3 Likes

And here is where i burnt through the backing on my bathroom mirror (removed from bathroom for laser purposes) by playing with said 2w laser

4 Likes

Looks mildly dangerous… I’m in, where do I get one?

3 Likes

Ebay. Thats where i got the majority of the parts

2 Likes

Cool clock!

Lasers are fun to build too! Old flashlight bodies are the most popular but some are turning customs. Good drivers are way cheaper too as are the diodes.

Get good glasses and use them! Even reflections from another room, the driveway, the parking lot, can cause eye damage and a lot of the time it’s permanent. There was an old post a couple/few years ago on a laser forum where a guy was just trying to get a good laser fog photo in his bathroom. Took his glasses off to see the camera better as his 2w laser was on a tripod. Bumped the laser, reflected off the chrome faucet, hit his eye. 90% permanent vision loss in 1 eye just from a glancing pass. Less in the other eye but still permanent vision loss. It was a sad read.

1 Like

Indeed. I take safety very seriously. In fact, it is part of my profession. I bought 3 pairs of safety glasses to filter this specific wavelength of light. One for me, and extras so i can show others. 2w is nothing to take lightly… That was a laser safety pun. Thanks for taking the time to point that out. That is something i should have stressed from the start.

1 Like

Didn’t mean to sound preachy.

But it’s nothing to be glassed over. (but it is, so no pun, irony maybe?) :crazy_face:

Have you messed with the adrino led cubes? They look fun.

1 Like

Not preachy at all, necessary imo. I dont think I’ve ever seen an arduino led cube.

A bunch of soldering but a neat finished product.

Ill check it out.

I would start smaller, lol.

3 Likes