Unofficial (?) One Drop RSM (Rotating Side Members)

I’d be interested too.

1 Like

That’s a really great idea!

So if I get this right I need a set of ultralights and two Duncan spacers and two a size bearings and two longer hex head bolts. I know there’s a novus at home with those parts in it. Maybe not the bolt but I’ve got everything else. I’m on it.

2 Likes

Yep! You’ll have to get a shorter axle too, M4x0.7 12mm, the SEs use 16mm axles. I’d recommend using the thinnest Duncan spacers possible to not add too much avoidable weight. The spacers from the Duncan Speed Beetle are the easiest to find and very thin. Also make sure the hex bolt you use has a fairly small head diameter so it doesn’t make contact with the hubstacks. I’d recommend a fairly short length too, probably 6mm or so should be more than enough. Careful removing the original axle from the side effect. It’s hard to not damage the side effect itself doing so. Rubber pliers are a must, you can also heat up the side effect to melt the red loctite holding the axle in place.

6 Likes

Yes Sir, you’ve done this before, haven’t you. All kidding aside thanks for the pro tips!

1 Like

Well, looks like i’m stopping by the hardware store for some screws after work.

6 Likes

Won’t be perfect haha, they probably won’t feel as smooth as the actual RSMs since there’s no way to perfectly center the spacer.

1 Like

I went a different route and threw some modified PGM posts on the ultra lights.

IMG_7793

IMG_7794

Edit: I think this is a good solution to the issue with centering the spacer too @yoyospirit - Not really much vibe.

13 Likes

Quick n dirty write up?

I can see myself throwing some pliers in the wall :man_shrugging:t3:

Very nice btw

2 Likes
  • Cut down the bottom of the PGM posts so they’re flat (I’ll probably cut them down even more so the posts are shorter).
  • Drill through the top of the ultra lights so an axle will fit through.
  • Screw the post and ultra lights together with short axle and add the necessary parts.
4 Likes

I take that, and raise it with these!image image image image

14 Likes

Ooooh those look nice! @AndreBoulay we need a lathe for the office!

11 Likes

Totally should! Could fix yoyos for people too then haha

7 Likes

Also by using a hex head screw you completely bypass the factory patent.
That’s music to my ears!

2 Likes

I got some unofficial RSM Side Effects from @yoyospirit! Top notch mod work

12 Likes

What’s up with the marks on the left one? I checked them through before packaging them up and they were in perfect condition. Do ya need a replacement half?

3 Likes

Nah it’s fine, USPS probably thought it was flat and tried to send it through the “flat” machine. That happened to @irdaprez and me once with side effects as well.

At least you sent it in a padded envelope so it survived! I used a plain envelope which was not a good idea… he ended up with an empty envelope as the purple SEs squirted out the side probably thanks to the rollers on the machine. :frowning:

3 Likes

:scream: this is awesome @yoyospirit how can one obtain a pair of these?

5 Likes

I’d love a pair of these myself!

EDIT: :sob:
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

2 Likes

Sorry, guys, not looking to make them to sell!

2 Likes