Trick Vs Combo, is there really a difference?

I appreciate all the information you have given, as AngryGumball said. It was Him and I discussing it because I didn’t have a clear view on the subject. This helps alot. I might to read it a few times to understand it better. But that’s because I’m just a little slow when learning things. Lol

Ok now this is making some sense, guys! This further helps define what I’ve been working on this evening…calling it a “Trombo” :stuck_out_tongue:

I saw that my name was mentioned and so I figured I could throw my two cents into this specific topic as in the past, even I have questioned the matter. In todays world of yoyoing, it is incredibly difficult to define what a trick is vs what a combo is. We have to do a little bit of history work too so here goes:

What I consider as a trick vs a combo/

A trick is when there is a strong singular idea that is presented to the watcher (in this case, generally throwers). An example would be the trick Barrel Rolls. What is the exact point of this specific trick? Its because of the rolling motion of the yoyo sitting on the strings. You are doing one underpass which moves the yoyo, and another underpass that moves the yoyo again. The rolling motion.

Generally, tricks will have very few steps involved in order to present the idea to the viewer. Another example: Slack trapeze. Step 1 is getting to the trapeze. Step 2 is the hop off. Step three is the pinch. Step 4 is tossing of the string over your non-throw-hand, allowing it to be “slack”. Step five is when the slack catches into the gap. Then step 6 is the dismount. There is a intro, middle, and ending.

“Elements” and “tricks” are one and the same. essentially

People reading this: "Bu-bu-but Zammy! What about tricks like Kamikaze and White Buddha!?

I’ll be getting to that next, which is where the bit of history comes in.

Back in 1999/2000 a club of yoyoers based out of California was revolutionizing what could be done with a yoyo. With the use of ball bearings in yoyos and new response systems, yoyoing had evolved. More spin times allowed more time to pull off more tricks and allowed more complexity.

During this time, Paul Escolar, one of the godfathers of 1A, created “tricks” like Kamikaze, Whitebuddha, RedClover, Magic Drop and Green Triangle.
The man, the myth, the legend.

But wait, isn’t Kamikaze a rather “long” trick? Could that not be confused as a combo?

Yes and no.

Paul and others in the Spin Dox crew all collaborated their ideas in order to push yoyoing forward. Paul had a strong presence and belief in his tricks where as I said above, a strong mentality on a beginning, middle, and end. The difference between what he did vs others is that every single step within the trick was overall new/fresh. Kamikaze had utilized the houdini mount, sidestyle Mach 5, transitions and the outro being Magic Drop. One could say the strong emphasis of the entire trick was for the Magic drop by itself.

In doing so, he had developed a “longer trick” due to the unique steps involved within it. Each with a strong sense of identity and presence.

After the year 2002, naming your tricks was done. And that is due to the evolution of yoyo technology which itself evolved yoyoing by itself. 2003 and 2004 presented with the idea of “tech”, which was complicated string origami, weaving of string via wrist mounts and so on. This also strengthened the idea of combos, because if yoyos could spin longer, people could do longer maneuvers, or in this case interlinking tricks together for a freestyle.

People reading: “Okay Zammy, tldr you have done, so then what do you consider a combo?”

Okay, so a combo is essentially, pre-existing tricks that have been interlinked or interwoven together in order to showcase skill and or to have fun. Usually combos will lack the “substance” because its already something pre-existing that has merely been put together. It will lack the creative strength of the original trick since “its already been done”

Combos are generally associated with competition, where freestyles are done. Combos will rack of points to which the winner will have the most point. A good example of a “combo” is watching Japanese players doing extremely fast frontstyle tricks in order to rack of points. Obviously the judgeing system of 2015 is different now vs in the past, but in the past they would score string hits.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with combos, as it adds a layer of technical ability to the thrower. To be able to do extended amounts of tricks with the amount of time of the spin, is a sight to behold. Really, look at where yoyo technology is at vs say…20 years ago? Its mind boggling.

But the trick innovators of yesterday and the new ones of today, all have a basic understanding of showing off ideas in the best possible manner, because they understand “it”. They study trick theory, expand upon the current and develop the newest possible material. Riccardo, anyone?

People reading: “I still don’t understand you, Zammy”.

I know…I tried. I really did.

Its now the year 2015. In the past 15 years everything with yoyoing has evolved past an extremely fast rate vs however long it has existed. This includes the idea of trick theory. In all honesty, we shouldn’t have to worry anymore of what is considered a “trick” vs a “combo” because yoyoing by itself is just that, yoyoing.

It really has come down to being “its in the eye of the beholder”. With added complexity came more length of a trick. The creator is the person that defines what is considered a trick or combo usually.

This is my two pennies, take it or leave it.

~Zammy

2 Likes

My key board in not working correctly that’s why.