Trick-a-Week 2023 - #52 - Control Workshop

Still trying to make a breakthrough on the other half of this trick.

10 Likes

I really like the sound magic knots make as they slide free.

19 Likes

Ok how do you get the ping pong bounce to be so smooth. Mine just feels like I’m jerking it around.

1 Like

Try to keep the entire formation taut. The string the yoyo is using to freely bounce is already loose because of the magic knot, so you can keep just focus on keeping the formation between your TH/NTH tight.

Just make sure to give it just a bit of slack when the yoyo is landing on the string, or it might just bounce right off.

2 Likes

So how I kinda worked through that next spot where you are:
-keep TH stationary and throw slack around with NTH
-once slack has about hit yoyo gap it’s less swinging the yoyo around your TH and more popping the yo-yo up with a slight out-to-in arc and moving your TH around it in the same direction and hopefully the slack comes along for the ride

Rarely did my slack come all the way around, usually I had to reach cross body with NTH grab it and pull it over where I wanted

Hope this makes sense and is helpful

2 Likes
14 Likes

Nicely done!!!

1 Like

This is a fun one! And so many more people joining in!

4 Likes

Throwing this over here. Never quite did get through all of the Angel combo but I’m glad with my progress and gonna take a look at the ping-pong now.

13 Likes
13 Likes

Fun one!

EDIT: Borked my shoulder so taking a few days off.

15 Likes

Awesome! Good job!

1 Like

Still working on one from December…my learning speed is going to make trick-every-other-month more doable for me. Anyone who did the Automatic Double last month, do you have any tips for connecting the first part to the second part? I always have a pause/delay as I hook my NTH pointer around the front string and open up the “box” with my TH thumb. Somehow he does that in one motion, but I can’t get that to work. Maybe this is just a lot more difficult than it looks, but any tips would be welcome. Thanks.

4 Likes

Do it without crossing your arms first if you want to practice an easier (imo) version of the exact same string transfers. Doing it with the slight arm cross for visual flair just makes the motions slightly harder to do fluidly imo.

There’s no real trick to it beyond just doing it more. But if you haven’t heard this advice before: consider your yoyo play one step in advance. So instead of thinking about the movement you’re currently doing, start thinking one step ahead so you can have your focus on transitioning into that movement as smooth and as soon as possible. Instead of letting your brain “finish” the movement, and then have a slight pause to let your brain consider the start of the next movement.

9 Likes

Thanks. I think I’ve heard that advice in an interview or two, but never thought it applied to the stuff I was doing. I guess even small tricks need some look-ahead.

2 Likes

It definitely changes all aspects of yoyo play. Even in the video I just posted there’s a slight pause every time I land back into the double or nothing. Because I’m only thinking about showing off a single smooth rep of the trick without my arms crossed. So when I hit back into the DoN that’s where my thought process ends, I don’t consider starting a new rep until after I’ve entirely finished the rep.

3 Likes

The PingPong trick reminded me a lot of a simpler/shorter „bag of fries“. Maybe it is good one for TaW also. I think it was not done already, right? Just a suggestion if we run out of tricks :smile:

3 Likes

Great suggestion! Just a reminder of you have suggestions please pm myself @ANGVS @mable or @Mystik so that we can keep track of suggestions.

I believe your talking about a doc poprock correct?

3 Likes

PMed

Only been able to spend 30 mins on this week’s, hence the awkward exit from the strings in the middle of mine.

Really struggle to pop the string out of the knot though.

8 Likes