TMBR axle kit - review request

Anyone have a review of the TMBR exotic wood axles? Or a comparison between the walnut and maple would be appreciated as well. The picture of the exotic wood axels don’t look like they could be used on these, they look like sleeves to me but I’m assuming that’s just for the picture…?

1 Like

The axles available here will not fit the wood thread axle newer TMBRs. They are for original model TMBRs.

3 Likes

Yep those are for the original, non woodthread TMBR’s. Although Colin has made different axles for wood thread in the past. I’ve got Walnut, Maple, koa and some spectraply. Overall I like Walnut the best.

3 Likes

Wow thanks for that! I already added them to the cart!!

So what’s on my Sullivan the walnut threaded I’m guessing? Someone have experience with the maple threaded?

I felt like maple was a little slicker feeling than the walnut. Not sure if Colin is making any other axles at the moment. Could always email or DM him about them.

1 Like

Any that have that solid wooden threaded axle are new. I’ve sent you a PM with info regarding the wood threaded axle replacements.

1 Like

I’ve got maple, walnut, and teak. They have different response characteristics, kind of in that order in terms of low to aggressive response and from tight to porous grain. The bigger factor is the axle diameter. My preference for all-around play is the 416 (4/16’) in walnut. Maple is a little more forgiving, but also slightly looser rolling into softer stalls.

5 Likes

What do the Sullivan and Carlson CS come with stock? Size and wood.
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Walnut 416 is the standard TMBR axle which ships with their yo-yo’s unless otherwise noted. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They should offer a kit like this for the wood threaded, though it’d probably be a lot more expensive given the greater size and complexity of the wood thread stuff.

1 Like

A great deal of the price of woodthread TMBR yoyos would indeed be the labour into tapping the halves and threading axles.

2 Likes