Titanium Un-walk the dog *picture thread"

I have the Central Machinery mini lathe haha, even with carbide tools and lube machining titanium is near impossible

I was just going to post this, you did an amazing job :raised_hands:

Ok, I donā€™t know your lathe, I tried to find and if thatā€™s what I found, itā€™s actually really small.
I by ā€œmini latheā€, I meant the category ā€œbench latheā€, I didnā€™t think you had one of the smallest.
If my experience can be useful, I have a Ceriani David 202 Automatic, bench lathe with a distance between the tips 500 mm and a motor with a power of 0.55 Kw, 100 mm chuck with a 20 mm bar passage and weight total of 85 kg.
I have worked more than once on titanium bars (6al4v) with diameters between 60 and 70 mm, using tools with carbide plates, without having problems.
For roughing I worked at about 650 rpm with passages of 0.25 mm of depth and finish at about 900 rpm with passes of 0.05 mm of depth.
The tool consumption is minimal and all in all the machining possibility occurs within acceptable times.
Maybe it will come in handy for a future update. :wink:

2 Likes

Mine is a pretty cheap Chinese made lathe, 7ā€x10ā€. Iā€™d like to upgrade to a larger lathe in the future when I have more funds. The horse power on thIs lathe is terrible haha. Itā€™s perfect for minor yoyo mods but if I wanted to do larger projects this canā€™t really handle it.

1 Like

Then yes, thatā€™s what I saw, this:

You are absolutely right.
1 Like

I probably got out about 90%. Some were pretty deep and i didnt want to effect play. The last pic is comparison of halves after i did one of them

10 Likes

Does it have more vibe now? And does it need a coating to keep it from developing patina?

Titanium is pretty resistant to oxidation.
It was raw to start, so this wouldnt change that.

1 Like

That makes sense. Is it possible to remove the anodization from a titanium throw to get a raw polished look?

For sure. Use 1000 grit to 4000 grit
Or just a polish

2 Likes