Titanium Experts Chime In

Hey guys! I’m going to be getting a Ti Peak with an interesting back story. It was electroplated purple by somebody, but the finish kinda just…wore off? It could use some rejuvenation so I wanted to see if anyone has experience with this. I’m wanting to see if it’s possible to remove the electroplating and just have it raw and polished? I have zero experience with titanium.

3 Likes

Spark marks too?

1 Like

You could probably get most of the color off with some high grit sandpaper (2000) or some steel wool. You can strip it with rust remover but it kind of leaves a residue that you probably want to clean off as well.

1 Like

I’ve stripped and re colored a titanium yoyo at some point. It just needs a bunch of time in the anodizing acid to strip it. You can do all the polishing you want afterwards, or just straight up polishing it will also remove the color.

2 Likes

That was a special release known as a “Purple Dusted” TiPeak from @jeffreypang911. I would just play it and leave it as is, since the raw versions had a Peak Mountain engraving.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdYgM_3l_hA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

5 Likes

Hi I’ll chime in here. I’m the one who has it in their possession. This was originally an AMS peak but was stripped. I traded it and the guy had it customized to mimic the glass dust. It actually looked quite close based off the emails from the company that did it, but it just wore extremely quick. I know the glass dust is highly sought after and fetches $$$ but I just wanted to be transparent and let y’all know that this ISN’T a legitimate glass dust. Cheers!

9 Likes

That is not the same appearance, the one in post is clearly a Raw that is electroplated to Purple to get the same look which can be faded away after use.
The Purple Glass Dust by Jeff has a matte finish and will not easily fade, the only effect it will have is the color will slightly be darker from regular play (sweat, oxidation, etc)
FYI, Raw also came in 2 version with engraved and non-engraved, the non engraved one is rarer and only a few have it.

3 Likes

Pretty cool update. I got it and used some Brasso and voila!

6 Likes

pretty convincing

I seen This peak before and I think It was a raw that I sold a while back. It was flame ano and I stripped it… when I did I noticed That spark mark, which is still there!

I could Be wrong, but I’m guessing it was originally raw>flamed>stripped>electroplated

I bought this from Cole Jordan, so if that name rings a bell then bingo

I definitely sold him stuff. I’ll have to go and check
But it doesn’t really matter what it was…. It’s what’s it’s became!!
That’s awesome looking!

2 Likes

I just honestly don’t care for the peak I guess. I recently bought a wooly markmont so hopefully it’s better or else it’s gone too lol.

It’s not…. Haha

Those older yo-yos don’t play as well as the newer stuff. So unless you were around that time, you probably won’t like it

The good news, you’ll definitely get your money back!

Who knows I might end up liking it. BvM is actually one of my favorites, quite impressive for an old throw.

1 Like

So it hadn’t faded, really? You just needed to essentially polish away whatever layer developed that was making it look faded?

My experience from anodizing Ti on my own is, that -depending on Surface finish, anodized color and „quality“ - especially the oils and other dirts from your hand can make the anodizing look quite faded after a while. Usually a cleaning with soap is enough to bring the shine back.
As the colorus layer is TiO which is (just as the anodized layers on aluminum throws) usually very resistant, I wouldn’t expect it to wear off by usual use.

I like this toxic approach as it works routinely with great success.
The super secret trick is… Huff’n the lemon flavored fumes.

Breathe Deeply~

It appears to have not been faded, and just had a layer of oil from it being touched. I was pretty shocked at how a 2 minute buff out with Brasso did this. I did make one goof up during, and accidentally brushed it on a scotchbrite pad - which left some small scratches. Wish I could get some of these surface scratches out!

1 Like

Wow…this things has seem some stuff. Do you happen to have any pics of it it its older phases?

1 Like