Throw Revolution Titaniums! Lotus & Ti Pendulum!

yes, this a naive and uninformed opinion.

1 Like

I did say “american shops he had worked with” … I can’t speak to which shops that was. :man_shrugging:

agreed then, naive and uninformed.

Instead of going ad hominem why not present the information you have that contradicts his position?

1 Like

But you concluded it was a “game over” moment. That would seem be big picture, now it’s solved, China is higher quality than America. Or did I misunderstand?

I do think it’s a little unusual when we’re talking almost 2x what Luftverk charges for a fancy artisanal titanium release.

I don’t think people mind paying a premium for stuff, as long as it’s clear what the premium gets them.

4 Likes

A machinist still has to program the code that runs the lathe for that particular piece. For hard materials like Titanium and Stainless Steel you need to know how to change the tool paths, speeds, RPMs, etc or else things can go wrong. There’s a lot of labor and knowledge and experience involved.

5 Likes

And just like coding software, there isn’t just one way to do it. It’s the same reason that someone would call a software programmer good. But this is not just code. It’s code that is interacting with physical things. And there an infinite way you can decide to approach it.

5 Likes

I get what he is saying. He didnt say zero human involvement in the statement at all. There arnt an army of humans with hand tools creating them.

I am becoming pretty fluent in codinghorror, and “artisanally handcrafted by hippies” is just his jaunty way of saying what I said (he said). :wink:

4 Likes

I think we should go back to hand lathing everything!! With chisels!

Haha. So it’s either all robot, are all hand work? Nothing in the middle?

2 Likes

Yep. Black and white, that’s how I see it. All robots or all humans smashing rocks together! :robot: :boom: :moyai:

2 Likes

Cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m into it, we can also replace your computer with an abacus, and this forum with a proper hardcopy newspaper.

2 Likes

Nah.

3 Likes

@da5id and @The_Machinist

I am genuinely intrigued with manufacturing technology. Would it be worthwhile to get a 2 year degree in this field from a community college? Or would it be better to go to an actual University?

3 Likes

Go get a job in a machine shop. They will pay you to learn the craft, you’ll learn what you actually need to do the job IRL, you’ll be debt free, and never want for work.

7 Likes

Is it really that simple?

2 Likes

I smell a new topic a’ brewin! :coffee:

4 Likes