The "official" math thread

f(x)= 2x2+2x

ddxf(x)= ddx(2x2+2x)

=2⋅ddx(x2)+2

=2⋅2x+2

=4x+2

is that how you were taught to take derivatives? My teacher didn’t make us do all those steps, she allowed us to just go from 2x^2 + 2x to 4x + 2

Ya gotz ta show yer work…

Yeah, jhb, I don’t think they make them show their work like they used to… maybe trying to be more green by saving paper! lol I used to go through soooooo much paper just for math…

Right, but that’s a little like having 1+2+5-6 and simplifying it step by step. It’s just assumed you know the steps in between and stuff. Or maybe it’s like what Miami said and it’s just to conserve paper, who knows.

guess i don’t understand derivatives :frowning: :’( :-\ :-[ ??? anyone else want to come up with a harder question?

d/dx(definite integral from x to y of (4z^4 dz)) = ?

take a guess

how does he know…

oh my soul, what a typo, I meant to say “kindness, happiness, rainbows”

Egad, I’m so embarrassed

You are forgiven. My iPhone often changes kind compliments into comments about drugs, cuss words, and math problems. Their autocorrect really needs some fine tuning.

4y^4 dy/dx?

What are you guys studying right now?

I’m knee-deep in spring damping and resonance.

http://i.imgur.com/4KAh9vt.jpg

This was already answered once, but deleted by a mod. Below is the full solution.

For the last few weeks I’ve been working on the following problem:

I assume the first couple of weeks were spent trying to figure out what the question actually is ;D

Oh right, I see what I did wrong. Since it was d/dx it was the derivative relative to x, so Y was just a constant.

Nothing, but I had 2 years of calculus and another couple of quarters of differential equations and then all the physics and fluid mechanics courses that use it all. That’s where I really learned it, but it’s been quite some time since I had to use it and it’s very rusty.

There’s a pretty good YouTube channel called Numberphile devoted to discussing math and numbers. They’ve got a lot of really interesting videos if you are into that sort of thing, so it’d probably be worth checking out if you’re in this thread.