The gall of some materials 😤

I have a RCS Showpony on the way and it’s a beautiful raw aluminum. I’ve been trying to find info about a bearing galling the aluminum in its seat and the only info I can find refers to threads and large machinery.

Will there be any issue if I assemble everything without treating the aluminum? I think the only time it would experience friction would be when screwing the halves together correct?

Just treat it like you would any normal yoyo and you’ll be fine. There are no issues with the bearing post or axle threading on raw yoyos. Lots of anodized yoyos have raw bearing posts/axle threading anyway.

You can put some thin lube on the bearing post/axle threads if you want extra peace of mind.

4 Likes

You’re over thinking this. I have had a number of raw aluminum yoyos w/o any problems. The yoyo will be fine.

1 Like

I had an axle gall one single time (I’ve had hundreds of yo-yos with no issues). All I had to do was wiggle it side to side with pliers and it unscrewed like normal, I obviously had to replace the axle but I keep spares so no big deal. That yo-yo still plays butter smooth. My point is, don’t worry about it. If it happens you can fix it but it probably won’t happen

2 Likes

Thank you guys! that’s what I imagined but the RCS’s website’s mention of it felt like a webMD diognosis lol