The 5 yo-yos that revolutionized yoyoing

Well, if AL7 ends up obsoleting bi-metal construction, then bi-metals will turn out to have been a relatively short-lived fad.

I’d gander to say that bi-metals were revolutionary in a design sense. They require some pretty next level engineering and precision… That’s just my two cents

2 Likes

Just curious what was the first bimetal?

2 Likes

I just tried Googling it. After doing that I realized that I do not have the time or the patience to haggle with Google’s algorithms regarding this subject matter. Good luck, I’d also like to know

It’s hard to pick 5 considering where Yo-Yos have gone now. However besides the Turbo Bumble Bee, let’s not forget how innovative the Yomega Brain was for getting people to Yo-Yo. It was the one that got me into it. I couldn’t get a Yo-Yo to return when I was a little kid. The training wheels function of the brain made it so I “could do it” and not be so frustrated. The I graduated to using imperials and eventually the Pro-Yo II

2 Likes

yet its been largely irrelevent to the people winning the top level of contests

3 Likes

Bi-Metal… Bi-Material?

There were wood yoyos made from recycled window pulleys. (wood center, lead rims).

Duncan World Class 70s (metal weight in plastic yoyo)

Spintastics Tigershark 96 (metal weight in plastic yoyo with bearings)

The H-Spin Handquake (love that name) 1997 (or 98) (true bi-metal)

and then YoYoJam with metal rim plastic stuff.

3 Likes

The brain you has a fond place in my heart but not for the normal reasons. My friend had a brain yoyo and seeing him play with it made me want to start yoyoing however my mom refused to buy me a brain. She told me it was cheating and lame. I begged for one but she wouldn’t budge. I spent weeks with a yomega power spin I had gotten a couple years before as a present trying to get it to return. This dedication to learning the basics made me fall in love with yoyoing where as my friend quit a few weeks later.

Thanks Mom for not letting me take the easy road.

7 Likes

17 Likes

Given that, what, something like 99% of all bi-metal yoyos made today are aluminum bodies with stainless steel rims, I’d have to say that is what “bi-metal” means. Call it the de facto definition if you will, but that’s what it seems to be. Maybe that will help narrow down what is meant by that term in contemporary usage.

1 Like

True, but almost all top players use their respective signature yoyos from their sponsors, which means they’re not the ones buying yoyos. I’m basing my prediction that bimetal production cost and bimetal market presence are inversely proportional on the fact that consumers will be more likely to buy them, as price is one of the largest financial hurdles to bimetals today.

1 Like

Probably the same reason you don’t see people winning with titaniums, either. It’s not really necessary, and it depends what the manufacturers know they can make and sell in large quantities, the “sweet spot” is definitely monometal… and not plastic, for example.

1 Like

Im working on my 5.
It is hard, not for what to include but for what to exclude. Also its hard to gain a perspective over the big picture.
Its hard to say something was a big revolution without dismissing those that came before it. The SB2 cited Isaacson, so its hard to credit the SB2 as being bearing.

3 Likes

Im yet to meet a player who choses to put themselves at a competitive disadvantage for the sake of marketability. Before you say ‘Gentry did it with a replay’ I think there was more a statement being made than a play at financial gain.

4 Likes

I don’t find “it was first, but virtually nobody had it” to be a compelling argument. I think the first model to truly popularize something deserves the enduring historical credit, not a prototype or two that barely made it out of a lab…

It’s almost like we need to set up some kind of factory … to build yo-yos:thinking:

2 Likes

I agree. I didn’t take the last 2 yoyos on this list very seriously to be honest. 4th I would say maybe the Duncan Freehand or YYJ Hitman, but I could see other arguments as well. But personally, I would say the 5th yoyo, without a doubt, would be the Sleipnir. I think it was the first truly great yoyo and is really the embodiment of what modern competition yoyos have come to be.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. YYR was a revolutionary company that was way ahead of their time. Their model, design, and vision for their yoyos is very much what the image of what a great, competitive yoyo is today. They truly knew all of the properties of what made an outstanding yoyo years before many other people and companies did.

YYR’s model of 2009, is the very model that every company uses now, 10 years later, for a high performance V.

4 Likes

my sides.

2 Likes

I was going to say I didn’t agree the the grind machine as well but after making my differences with yyf clear on the forums I didn’t want to come off as just a hater.

1 Like

There’s been a lot of debating, but I think the answer is clear to anyone who chooses to look realistically :wink:

1. dv888
  2. ?
  3. ?
  4. ?
  5. ?

Did you really come for 2 through 5?

6 Likes
  1. Al7 Banshee 18
  2. Elite 18
  3. Akita
  4. TiPeak
  5. Obligitory throwback: SF SS