Ten YoYo Wet Whistle: A quick review

I picked up this badboy a few weeks ago, and I love it so far, so I thought I would toss up my thoughts on it.
First off, let me tell you that this is a B+ Grade from the boys at Ten YoYo due to ano flaws, as seen by the ‘X’ not being pure white. Whatever, no big deal. The B+ grades are also a little heavier due to a machining error. Instead of the normal 68 grams, mine weighs in at 70 grams.

SPECS:
57mm diameter
54.75mm width
70 grams
4.6mm gap
KK C sized bearing
Sili Response

CONSTRUCTION:
When I got the yoyo, I excitedly tore into the post box it came in. Inside, I discovered a wonderfully packaged setup…

Came complete with a pouch, a TIF yoyo, and a really cool box w/ all the specs on it.
I pulled the yoyo out of the box and was rewarded with a soft feeling finish. This yoyo also feels quite a bit lighter than it is. I noted that the yoyo was quite wide, so I figured stability was going to be an issue, but I was quite wrong. The gap looks bigger than it actually is… But it still takes layer after layer of string without slowing down. In the hand, the yoyo is quite comfortable. I had to adjust my grip somewhat, but not in any way that affected my throw or bothered my hand. There aren’t any sharp edges to catch your fingers or hand on with this yoyo, it comes back to hand quite comfortably. The only thing I wish is that there was another colorway. Although black has its advantages, I’m personally more of a fan of bright splashy fun colorways. Maybe I’ll have this one custom ano’d. Cheesy

WEIGHT:
At 70 grams, you would think this thing would be quite chunky on the string. Not the case at all. Quite floaty, feels much lighter than it says it is. It is still very present on the string, but not thunky, it doesn’t take a lot of effort to move this guy around. Overall, it feels really awesome on the string.

RESPONSE AND BEARING:
The response in the yoyo is a white silicone response. I’m not sure exactly what silicone it is, but it provides tight, snappy binds without being grabby whatsoever. Dead unresponsive out of the box, just the way I like 'em.
The bearing is a deshielded KK. Kudos to the guys at Ten YoYo for shipping them deshielded, since I’m lazy. It’s a KK, works fantastic in this yoyo, what else is there to say?

PLAYABILITY:
From the first throw, this yoyo surprised the hell out of me. I was expecting something slow, thunky, commanding. While this yoyo does have a strong presence, it is definitely not overbearing. The weighting allows for great sleep times, and excellent stability, which I had thought would be an issue. On a good throw, it’s dead smooth on the string. On a bad throw, this yoyo isn’t very forgiving. It’ll let you know if you need to practice your throw. Doesn’t bother me one bit. Like I said earlier, the gap allows for massive amounts of string in it without slowing down. The cut of the gap (slightly sloping inward towards the bearing) allows for great suicides and such. The loops stay open for days. Grinding, you say? Like a beast. The only downside is, this is when you feel the vibe. Ever so slight, yet present, only during grinds. I don’t know if it’s going to be an issue on the A grade good ones or not, perhaps if Wabbit sees this thread, he can comment. It doesn’t bother me though, it’s very slight and only present during grinds.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
I think this yoyo is going to surprise a lot of people. If you haven’t tried a super wide throw, try this one. It is sure to put a smile on your face. It’s extremely fun, controllable, and just has a good feel to play with. I wish there was more colorways available, but other than that, I have nothing bad to say. I can’t wait to try the Decapod when it becomes available!!

Rob

1 Like

I know the guys at 10 yoyo pretty well and I have the decapod. Its a winner

Good to hear, I can’t wait to give one a whirl.

Nice Review man. Thanks.

I just assembled the first a grade run last week and they are real smooth. I only found vibe in 1 of them and I have set it aside to sell as a b-grade.

Decapods are in progress as we speak. s00n

You know, mine has a teeny tiny vibe on grinds, but other than that it is super uber dooper smooth, so I would totally believe that the A grades are buttery smooth. A lot of people seem to think that wide=vibey/unstable.

Decapods need to be here in like the 2nd week of Nov :smiley: (that way I know I’ll have cash)

Decapods are comIng to me now. Should be ready soon.

Soo excited.

I won the contest they had recently and have been throwing my Wet Whistle exclusively. It’s outstanding. Butter smooth. Snappy response. And a simple yet handsome clean lined design. I love it! If you’re hesitant to try a YoYo in the extra wide category - don’t be. If you’re in the market for one - get a Wet Whistle. Wabbit and/or Roo, if you’re reading this, thanks again! I can’t wait to pick up a Decapod asap. J.

I’m listening :slight_smile: So glad to hear how much you like it!

Cheers!