Tell me about the scoring system

I am gonna try to get into my first yoyo comp eventually so can anyone tell me about the scoring system?

4 Likes

Yo you should read the rules if you haven’t yet. Here’s the rules for the world Yoyo contest.
https://wyyc2023.com/contest/freestyle-rules/

3 Likes

hoping the judges like your freestyle is like 40% of it

4 Likes

Check out Gentry Stein’s “How to be a yo-yo Champion” series on YouTube.

Very informative!

4 Likes

tl;dr: the very very most I can simplify it is a performance is split between clicks and evals

clicks = points for tricks
A judge will have a clicker and click for your tricks. How many clicks a trick gets is dependent on the judge.

evals = performative aspects
Cleanliness, showmanship, and trick variety go here

This is the most I’m willing to simplify it though, and even then there’s a chance what I’m saying is at least somewhat wrong. Be sure to read contest rules themselves and watch videos about scoring and clicking that Gentry Stein and Yotricks both provide for a more accurate understanding of how competitions work.

2 Likes

The sport level category doesnt do clickers though right? Or did I read that wrong somewhere.

Ive made a goal for myself to have a 1min routine I feel comfortable throwing in the sport level when my regional comes around next year. I dont think Id survive clickers. Id love to just not come in last…but we’ll see :sweat_smile::yo-yo::man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

No just evals so things like choreography comes into play a lot more. I’m doing sport for the ante contest and it has really fun to think about how to put together a routine to music. Definitely way harder than I thought it would be but it’s been really really fun and has definitely helped me improve and it sounds like a fantastic idea to get together a 1 minute routine you feel comfortable performing on stage. Good luck!

3 Likes

Are the amateur yoyo comps any different rulewise?

1 Like

I don’t think there are any yoyo competitions specifically for amateurs with the national yoyo League, and iyyf. Though there are non competitive divisions at the national competition

If a group or yoyo club decides to have their own rules it’s on them to decide which rules to follow

Rules change every year.Though each group has similarities in the way they score elements its up to the competition organizers to decide how they score trick elements

Most competitions except like worlds have a sport division which is an amateur or non pro division with different rules.