Stuck spot.

I am been learning yo tricks for the last 4 months. I have completed the check list for this site up till advanced 2. In advanced 2 I got into tricks where I have to put 3 strings into the groove. My poor little Duncan Metal Drifter cannot handle that with it’s 3.55mm gap it is hard enough to put 2 strings in without it binding up. Is this problem on me or the throw? If it is the throw what is a good gap distance for doing the 3 string in the groove tricks.

What response do you have in your drifter? if you have friction stickers, then silicone stickers might help

I have both as silicon 1 is more worn than the other.
I have tried both though with no change.

Clean the bearing or buy one

I have read around here to try just one friction sticker or silicone sticker. It may help a little and clean the bearing like yoyomasta said. I personaly have never used a metal drifter. I’ve also read that you can beefcake it (putting two bearings in) which will widen the gap. I think Terrapin X has one that is welded together and slightly concaved in the very center that ive read very good comments about.

I gave my bearing an Paint thinner bath, let it dry and lubbed it with high vis. oil. I also tried to put 2 bearings in it, but my throw dont except 2. Still trying I really believe it is the gap width. When I do plastic whip it wants to come back in mid brain twister mount and when i attempt the zipper when i toss over kind of in a bind it does just that binds and comes back. I took the silicon pad off and replaced with and old one thinking it wouldnt grab yet it still does. I blame gap 3.55 is not big enough. I do see over 3/4 of the throws on this site the gap is 4.0 or bigger. At any rate I am going to order a new throw, after all I am sure it will be different upgrading from a $25 duncan metal drift.

Your drifter should be able to play alot better then what you have mentioned. You said you used high viscosity oil that could be your problem right their high viscosity means that it is thick and would be better for responsive play. Try and clean the bearing and play it dry and also duncan makes a bearing kit with different spacers mabe you could try that to give you a wider gap.

http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/71/Duncan-Bearing-and-Parts-Kit

A different throw may also work to but I don’t think their is anything wrong with a drifter if your just starting out its not a bad way to go just try to stay away from thick lubes unless its for a looper.

Good Luck

1 Like

I was using low visc oil just messed it up when writing it. That spacer kit seems right though i shall try. None the less I am buying a new throw I am getting into the sport so might as well. Thanks for the help.