Speed and Flow

Not everyone cares about speed. Flow is a very real thing, and isn’t just the lack of speed.

1 Like

Speed is fun and has its time and place but flow is soooo much cooler to watch and do!

Flow for days!

I try to have a bit of flow myself. And I’m partially blaming it on a lack of speed.

Then there should be an event called “Yoyo Dancing”.

Your point is much like aspiring artists who claim that any artist that is actually successful has necessarily sold out to the “corporate” or “commercial” art market.

Until there is a contest that rewards flowing play (whatever that is…); measuring it against a style where contests do reward actual performance is meaningless. One style results in championships, sponsorship and monetary rewards. The other just makes you feel better that you are not successfully measuring yourself against others.

By all means; flow away…

And your point is like taking the fastest guitarist and saying they’re the best. Sure they have speed, but do they know how to play anything else? Can they play it with emotion? It’s similar with the yoyo. Sure, they can bust out super high speed tricks, buy can they do it with style?

1 Like

Speed contains flow within its realm of performance.

A fast player is doing a series of elements quickly together that “flows” from one to the other in a quick manner. In essence, the speedy flow player has a great grasp of the flow of the trick to obtain the precision that is sought.

They work together, thus I don’t “prefer” one over the other, because it is all one to me.

J

2 Likes

It’s a bit like listening to metal, then trying to compare it to listening to a mood setting instrumental, try this;

listen to, on second thought, perhaps Tundra Desert by Modest Mouse. (edited because I went back and listened to the Children of Bodom song and realized I didn’t enjoy it very much at all.)

then listen to On The Nature of Daylight by Max Richter

I can enjoy both pieces but they have such a different sound that it isn’t reasonable to compare the two, it will only be whichever you personally prefer.

With yoyos the two style mentioned here, Flow and Speedwork, happen to be two completely different things. If you learn some of the speed work tricks they usually are woefully boring if you try to do a flow type of movement through it. For a truly fantastic freestyle it should be matching the music very well, Hiroyuki Suzuki’s worlds freestyle this year was spot on to the music. Kimmitt’s 2011 freestyle was also perfect with his music, and it seems as though if it had been the full 3 minutes there would have been a great chance of him winning.

and i leld at yoyogeezer,

2 Likes

Flowy speed?
Or speedy flow?
Why not haha

this

Does “leld” mean something new dumb-dumb-speak that I am not aware of? Or is it a typo?
If it is LOL - at what? My opinion? If so, careful.

I have no problem with disagreeing. But blanket “lol” is hardly respectful or constructive. Use of such arguments willl get personal attacks in return. Judging by your simplistic music analogy, this is literary fight your are not prepared for.

I don’t prefer either over the other. I think that truly great players have both a combination of flow, and speed. Sure, some players might lean greatly in one direction or the other, and all the better to them. But can you honestly say that Jensen couldn’t be faster if he wanted? Or that Hiroyuki’s tricks don’t flow?

1 Like

Note of caution for everyone else: don’t feed the troll.

1 Like

You can’t play fast and have it look good and not have it flow too. I don’t consider flow to be a more refined style of yoyoing, as some seem to be saying.

lerlerlerl

1 Like

“Careful” Japhle, The troll might bite back with a literary “personal attack”.
Does this make him feel good? Does this give him pride?
Words are words dude. Quit trolling with your arrogant ways. You state that a “blanket lol” is neither respectful, nor is it constructive, and then you bash Japhle by stating that his analogy is simplistic, and then go on about him not being “prepared” for a literary fight. How is this respectful or constructive? I know I personally have no issue with you “lashing back” at me, As I am man enough to take it. Unlike you.
This is thread is based on opinions. Grow up. Oh, wait, you’re an adult sitting on a board full of children, ranting and raving about personal attacks. He simply found what you stated as funny.

NOW, I believe Flow is entirely different than speed play, They both have elements based off of one another in essence, though they look entirely different. A crowd of people who have never thrown before, and have zero knowledge of modern day yoyoing, can be wowed by both, yet in my experience, they find simplistic tricks with a flowing sense more enjoyable because they are able to comprehend it. I mean in all honesty, speed play is nothing but point wh0reing. When someone is by themselves, not on stage, there is absolutely nothing wrong with flowing/slower tricks. I do agree that people who are very into speed play know all of the elements of flow, because they certainly would not be able to convert all of the insanely fast tricks into speed play with out at least practicing them quite a bit slower.

1 Like

Guy Wright , Reiki sekyia, Tatsuya fujisaka. First guy doing easy eye catching repeaters . Second doing complicate string trick with Suzuki’s speed, (see his world 2010 , so technics I enjoy it much more than Jensen ) . And the last… Real art, you can’t blink your eyes while watching his performance.( Japan Nation 2012)

Flow. Using a glow string makes everything look flowing.

What about people like Christopher Chia?

he has flowing elements as well as speed!

i defenitly agree with both parts.

1 Like