So, I just tried code's "hyperspin" bearing maintenance

And I must say, it works pretty good. I gave it a good clean in some acetone, put it on the end of a pen, and spun it with an air duster. Put a drop of lube on it, and spun it to Kingdom Come. It made this cool high-pitched whirring sound.

And the best part? My yoyo is now about 30% quieter and smoother.

Shout out to @codinghorror for the hyperspin method. It works pretty well

7 Likes

Never tried it. But I’m sure it’s better than what I do to clean my bearings.

1 Like

6 Likes

This has me in stitches!

Umm, did I miss something? What’s funny…

2 Likes

The gif, it has me laughing!

1 Like

It is from the original source of the “one of us” quote movie:

3 Likes

Now you have me wanting to find a copy of the original version of this movie! That is exactly what I will do.

Thats pretty much the same thing i do. The exceptions being i use an air compressor and low odor mineral spirits instead of acetone. I am weird tho, i really enjoy cleaning my bearings. Those first throws after are so satisfying.

4 Likes

Just so you know, this is the image that I think of when I think of you now. In my mind you are a tiny little guy who is dancing on a table.

4 Likes

Ummmmmm not to be mean but im pretty sure Code did not invent shooting compressed air into a bearing. Its pretty standard to spray out a bearing with air, in machine shops and garages around the world, since bearings and compressed air have been available i would reckon.
Just saying. Ive been doing it since day one and I never head of no hyperspin.

3 Likes

@Graiskye I think you’re missing some context here…

2 Likes

Been doing it myself since the beginning of time. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

The main “innovation”, if we can call it that, of this technique is that it frees you from agonizing over putting in one teeny-tiny drop of just the exact precise right amount of thin lube. :sweat_drops:

You spin out the excess and can rest easy knowing however much you put in, only the proper amount of thin lube stays in the bearing after spinning it at high speed!

Seriously there are tutorials showing people how to put in lube with the end of a pin… that is so risky, whereas if you spin it out, you could dunk the bearing in a whole barrel of thin lube and it’ll still turn out perfect.

3 Likes

Excellent, so where do I sign up? How much do I pay you to use this method?

1 Like

If you have to ask how much… you can’t afford it

1 Like

Oh wow, you must be making a killing off of this.

/s

1 Like

Not really. Nobody can afford it. Everyone just pirates the technique. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yeah, ya could get a serious infection, or worse, from contaminated needles.

2 Likes

I’m picturing an infomercial. Like that one about the automatic toothpaste squeezer.

“Don’t you hate it when this happens?” (Spazes out and squeezes half a tube of toothpaste all over the place)

3 Likes