Should you re-silicone all your new yo-yos?

Dude, play with your toys they way you want. If you want to paint them purple then dip them in glitter and hang them on a wall then do it!

Everyone should feel happy doing whatever they want with their stuff. If it works for you then go for it.

7 Likes

I’m not actually trying to be a stickler here, but I though you might like to know that the correct term for using a lathe to make something is ‘turn’, not ‘lathe’.

7 Likes

Oh Glen just lathe me alone so I don’t turn ya into a toad!:scream: (Just havin some fun Glen. I agree with you.)

Reminds me, I need to turn those pods yet!

2 Likes

Getting good at silicone application and understanding exactly how recessed vs flush vs etc plays for you and your style will ultimately make you a better yoyoer imo.

3 Likes

My buddy the other day was telling me how I need to use flowable instead of buying response pads. I was like, naw man it’s just simpler and easier to buy the pads.

Then he broke down for me like how he can save 2 dollars because one bottle of flowable costs blah blah blah

And I was like, dude, you’re using a $230 YoYo and giving me lessons on frugality

5 Likes

lol :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not trying to convince anyone on using silicone. If anything I’d try to convince everyone to use whatever makes yoing more enjoyable to them. I’ve got nothing against any kind of response systems people prefer to use.

Is this another thread like the bearing discussion(argument) flat v.s. shape? Kind of feels similar.

Silicone takes practice. I just practiced on one yoyo until I got it down. Started with flowable but now I’ll try about any type of sili. However, I’ve only ripped out the factory pads a few times, usually wear them out before I silicone a yoyo.

3 Likes

I just don’t have the patience for it. I don’t even like having to change response stickers to new response stickers lol.

4 Likes

hehe :slight_smile:
I don’t mind the wait. I’m swimming in yoyos haha…I’ve got tons of shinny spinny toys to play with while I wait for the silicone to set.

2 Likes

To be fair, I didn’t make this thread and I didn’t mean to make a big debate about it. I’m not trying to convince anyone of doing anything here. I’m just doing what I personally find works for me personally.

2 Likes

Silicone is a bit of a pain for those that only throw one or two yoyos. The curing time is tough for them. I think silicone may fit more into the liking of those that have multiple great players and wont miss a single yoyo as it cures for 24 hours.

However, the ease of pads and the lack of a possible mess make them much easier. Silicone still has it’s own feel and it’s nice not to have to store a million different size pads. I’ve had pads long enough that the adhesive fails almost immediately and then I silicone it anyway. The other benefit of silicone is I can just pick it up in the hardware store and it’s faster than ordering pads and waiting for them to arrive.

I won’t judge you on your response. :joy: (See what I did there? )

3 Likes

Sticker pads win hands down in the convenience department. However, if someone did spend the time to learn how to flow their own silicone (and become good at it), then I can see a couple of advantages:

1. Lower long-term cost.
  2. More control over recessed vs. flush surface.
  3. Flowable silicone will probably be around forever, whereas your favorite sticker pad might not be.
  4. You never have to worry about finding stickers that fit perfectly into your yoyos; this is of particular concern to collectors/owners of older yoyos and other boutique throws with unique response wells.
7 Likes

^ this.

I don’t silicone yo-yos because I’m Lazy but I am known to rip out stock pads and replace them with ones I prefer as soon as I get a yo-yo so :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I have replaced almost all of my pads with flowable silicone because I prefer it. This includes new yoyos. Generally speaking, I prefer the response of flowable silicone. I have also found that some throws get a nice performance boost (spin time and stability) from it, presumably because it drags less than certain pads.

I have found that silicone rips out easier and wears quicker as well. I would much prefer to just use pads since they’re so much easier and convenient. But, unfortunately I have found through experience that I prefer silicone.

4 Likes

I play pads till they are unusable. I’m cheap. I found a pad I like, so I stocked up and wont have to probably ever buy more.

1 Like

same here

I feel like this belongs here. Not that I disagree with this but I felt like it belonged here.

man… that’s a real shame when folks be throwin’ away a perfectly good white boy set of silicone stickers like that

1 Like