Shields or No Shields - How do you use your bearings?

I love Whipples! At first when I used mine for some reason it caused a bad vibe but after I cleaned it it played amazing.

I like no shields so it was good. Just makes it easier clean some of my bearings have 1 shield though because I’ve noticed C clips are a pain so I don’t waste my time. I like how CTs come with shields but no C clip so the shields come out easy.

I am new to yoyoing (only 3 months in) so I have no clue what a bearing shield is. Would somebody help me with this problem?

The bearing shield is the part of the bearing that isn’t visible with the yoyo together, but the part that faces up if you were to take the yoyo apart and put the yoyo half (that has the bearing) down. The shield isn’t totally flat. Hope that made sense, LOL.

The part of the bearing inside the circles.

I don’t know why that reminded me of this.

I prefer unsheilded bearings.

I really don’t care. As long as it spins, I’m fine! :slight_smile:

i play with all my bearings deshielded and they work just fine ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

No Shields All Day.

I also like mine shielded to help prevent debris from entering the bearing, also for identification purposes.

I like to de-shield mine because sometimes the shields get jammed on a cheap bearing.

Every time I get a new bearing I play it for a while then deshield it and put in a drop of lube. Then leave the shields off for easy cleaning and lube

I used to like mine shielded partly because I liked the idea that they were closed off from any dirt, partly because I felt that it helped keep lube in. Now however once they are unshielded they are unshielded. I always keep the shield and c clips though. Ironically I used to worry when I lost a c clip or shield, and now I have extra that I don’t use.

Once I remove them its straight to the garbage can. I have no preference as to with or without, just less work.