(New CRAZY bimetal sneak peak!) Sengoku: News Thread

Hello All,

Welcome to the official Sengoku Thread!

In consultation with Julio, the Sengoku team decided to create this channel to talk about all things Sengoku, be it old product photos, BST finds, and of course, to give you the latest updates on projects coming from the minds in Aichi, Japan.

Naturally, this is one way to post up juicy photos of products coming to YoYoExpert, but at least as important, we wanted to make this thread to hear from you! Feel free to let us know what you think to any updates, and what you think of any products (new and old!) you might have nabbed, and any suggestions you might have for future designs.

Now, to kick this off, we wanted to wait until we had something special to announce. So here it is:

Presenting, the SHINGEN! (specs below)

This is the first yoyo made out of 7175 alloy, a mixture of magnesium, zinc, copper and aluminum.

The yoyo industry standard is 6061 aluminum. A less common, and more premium option 7075, which has superior strength to weight, can be machined thinner, and is even a little harder to ding.

The 7175 alloy is a step above this.

Its strength and rigidity are both superior, once again allowing for more extreme weight distributions.

The Shingen makes full use of these properties to maximize rim weight. Add an extra large stainless steel set of rims, and you’ve got some serious angular momentum!

SHINGEN SPECS:

-Weight: 65.2g
-Diameter: 55.05 mm
-45.15 mm

Thanks for reading, and welcome!

-Sengoku

15 Likes

This looks awesome

1 Like

This looks so good!!!

1 Like

We’ve decided to include an upgraded Konkave bearing in the Shingen as standard.

Of course they perform a little better, but the main thing is, they sound great!

Depending on how fast/slow you want the bearing to be, you can get them almost silent by adding more thin lube, without them becoming semi responsive.

Enjoy this video of team member Yamato Yamashita’s one throw test of the Shingen. Take a listen :smile:

15 Likes

As Sengoku team members get more time to use the new Shingen it’s quickly becoming a favorite.

Robin recently sent in a video of a horizontal test.

6 Likes

I’m confused… is it 7175 aluminum or some other alchemy project with that name?
Also it looks like it has inner rings, what are those made of?

But it looks awesome! Sengoku does not miss!

It says all the info in the post up top. Its 7175 with stainless steel rims. It has the specs up there too.

With the close by release of the new Lotus, here’s some more info!

The Lotus is the latest in a series of experimental hole designs by Sengoku, following the Hattori and the Hanzo.

This, while entirely functional as demonstrated in a video below, is primarily a study in aesthetics and machining techniques.

The idea was to make a four petal “flower” out of a yo-yo, that could also reach the full potential of the “ghost yo-yo” illusion that the Hattori and the Hanzo started.

The holes in these yo-yos produced a floating rim illusion, looking something like this:

The Lotus takes this a step further, but having the holes extend through the rims, meaning all but the bearing seat of the yo-yo can be seen through while it’s spinning (even the rims).

This can briefly be seen in the following video, as the string passes behind the yoyo.

We do want to reiterate that there are some performance limitations due to this design. Rejections are difficult, but possible with practice, as seen in the video.

It is possible to get the string stuck in the gaps, but when doing regular string tricks, this does not happen too much.

We don’t recommend taking it horizontally too much though!

At the end of the day, this is about owning piece of machining that is a manufacturers headache, but was pushed through anyway. It looks like a flower on your desk, looks like a ghost when spinning, and it can do tricks as well.

The Lotus!

21 Likes

Ok, I have to be honest - while aestheticslly beautiful, I was kind of wondering why another Hattori-style, less functional yoyo was being made. (Were those cool experiments? Sure. But another?) After seeing this, the “ghost yo-yo” effect is actually really cool.

4 Likes

Hello! This is Robin Stricklin with the account for today.

This is because I asked permission to be the one to announce this yo-yo both early and to YoYoExpert.

I wanted to do this because this is the single yoyo I’m most excited about from Sengoku, ever.

This yo-yo takes the ideas of:

1.) Undercut H shape (y’all know it’s my favorite)
2.) Chunky rim organic
3.) Powerful bimetal
4.) Sengoku “straight cut” aesthetics

And mashed them all into one.

I’ve been pounding on Julio to make this yo-yo for almost 5 years, and he’s finally done it.

Without further ado, here’s the first sneak peak images of the Bishamonten!

No official specs yet, but this yo-yo is definitely full size, and around 47mm wide.

And it feels incredibly chunky in the hand.

Just look at the steel rim unit:

In order to keep the massive rims on securely, the body is made of the high grade 7175 aluminum that Sengoku has been the first to use.

Anyway, I’m so excited to share this one with you guys at YYE. This was a VERY difficult design to pull off, but the deed has been done!

-Robin

22 Likes

My god that looks amazing

1 Like

I’m so excited man. (But you better throw some of my strings on it! :smile: )

Hope everything’s going good dude!

-Robin

2 Likes

Looks right up my alley, any idea on the price yet?

1 Like

Hasn’t been settled completely yet, as we just finished the first prototype run where we could get the design to work up to our standards.

It will be some more than usual though.

It’s essentially machining most of a stainless steel yo-yo, which is a more expensive material to work with, of course.

And then because the rims have so much angular momentum and size, the body had to be as stiff as possible, so the body had to be the most expensive/ultra hard 7175 aluminum.

And, of course, the press fit has to be incredibly tight, which was hard to get right. (But we did, the yo-yo is not more fragile than others)

So yeah, I believe we’ll be able to keep it under $190, but it will probably be more than the usual $130 or so, just because of the extremity and difficulty of the design.

-Robin

7 Likes

Definitely something I’ll be saving up for when I can

1 Like

specs?..:eyes:

Diameter is full size, but not crazy oversized.

Sorry I don’t have more than that right now, more to come.

1 Like

all good! thats all I needed to know. thanks🫡

1 Like

I usually like to have the “WDW” (width, diameter, weight).

I’ll update this thread with the weight once I can wake someone up in Japan and ask them to put one of the prototypes on a scale.

1 Like