Question to Eh Spectraply or Ehknown owners

Can anyone who owns either an Ehknown or Eh Spectraply confirm something with me?

How does the finish feel I your hand. Does it has a kind of velvet like feel, or plain smooth feel.

Mine are coming out with more of a velvety feel than plain smooth. It feels nice, but not exactly what I am going for. I’m asking this question just to see if it’s simply mine or if other spectraply oiled finished yoyos are like it too.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

My eh unknown feels more velvety than smooth, it feels very nice.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Its good to know its not just me, but a characteristic of the material.

The ehknown has a slight satin sheen to it, it’s smooth but doesn’t feel like smooth sealed wood. This older spectraply I have has a slightly rougher finish.

3 Likes

What about you @Exmime, is the finish velvety feeling in yours?

1 Like

The new eH SpectraPlys are definitely softer than the older Freemonts. I wouldn’t say its oily though. That was one thing I liked about the KNack, the sanded softness is really smooth which makes it great for the tape measure and pull start tricks.

1 Like

It’s hard to explain exactly what I mean. I mean to run your fingers along it, does it feel something like velvet?

1 Like

Mine don’t (and I have one of each). They feel, more or less, just like my KNack.

2 Likes

When I first got one, it has a real crisp feel, and it oiled out pretty quick after playing with it, same goes for some of my spectraply gt kendamas

2 Likes

I feel what your talking about with both the ehknown and the rEhnbow. I think it’s a product of the material. I find it handles tape measures better than some of my other woods.

2 Likes

I do feel like the spectraply makes a better Eh

2 Likes

Hmm. Feeling mine now it is smooth, but when it was new it kind of had the feel of a block of styrofoam. From your description id say the Eh new is similar to yours, but I can’t be sure. I am assuming with a little bit of play, your “velvet smooth” will become normal smooth.

1 Like

I think you might be right.

I’m getting the impression here after throwing one for a bit that SpectraPly has a bit of break in time in finish and response. It’s hyper responsive at first

2 Likes

My stuff has come out plain smooth. But not yoyo’s so I haven’t felt them at any measurable RPM. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

You have turned yours in spindle orientation. That changes the way it finishes.

Actually, the eh is in spindle orientation too.

2 Likes

This is exactly how I feel about the eH

1 Like

End grain definitively cuts and finishes differently.

1 Like