Possible New Manufacturer

not sure if you could make the bottom design rounder (from your last post, or #18), but I like how it looks.

That last design is great seems like it would make for a very well playing throw
I thinks it is awesome your pursuing your own designs
When you finally decide and make your prototypes (Which will be SWEET!)
make sure you remember to post some reviews and even a few vids
send a few out for test as well :wink:

Truly a cool thread love the designs but that most recent last design in my opinion is the best by far

Keep up the good work designing I guarantee you’ll continue blowing my mind

what program is that on I’d love to get it and tinker!

anyone else have other programs they’ve used for this?

the last design is what i consider the safest design, i took no real risk in its shape

the program i am using is called Alibre Design. ironically i bought if from the owner of string theory at a maker fair when i was just getting into yoyoing

-Kyle

design number 5 revamp looks awesome! Definitely a cool looking shape. I’d love to try one whenever you get protos but it’s your choice. plus the overall aesthetic look of it is just smooth

Its definitely a pretty safe design but done right it could look and play very well

I also am drawn towards number 4 rim weight seems like it’d be very nice

looks like the investment into the program was well worth it, these all look great

I’ll go ahead and be the first actual yoyo maker to give you any input in this thread :slight_smile:

Going down in order of your post…

#1 - Right basic idea in weight distribution. Drop thickness from the axle housing area on the outside… it’s wasted weight. The end of the axle post doesn’t need any thickness at all really, it’s just a cover for the end of the axle, it bears no weight or force. (don’t thread to the very bottom of the hole obviously, or people will over-tighten it to the point that it pokes through). Behind the response system you have a lot of thickness you don’t need. As somebody said earlier, 1.8-2mm is plenty.

#2 - Same as above really. It runs the risk of being prone to precession pretty easily due to the weight distribution.

#3 - Same as #1

#4 - Way too much effective center weight, you need to shift the mass up and out.

#5 - see #1

#6 - This will play awful. If you’re going larger diameter, you have to drop weight somewhere so that you can still give yourself rim weight.

Something to keep in mind about material thickness on the curve… in order to deform a yo-yo at this point you need to either a) apply a lot of lateral torque (doesn’t happen under normal circumstances with a yoyo) or b) deform the rim section far enough to apply a vertical force… in which case who cares, since you’ve already smashed the rim.

This is different from the wall section and bearing seat, which have a large mass (the entire curve section of the yoyo) that torque on them when impacted with the ground.

As long as your cross section on the curve area is at 1.5-1.8mm you’ll be fine. (by that, I mean take a line, go 45 degrees from one side of the wall to the other)

Kyle

thanks for the input, ill admit i’ve been pretty conservative with the designs. im used to the high stress, high impact applications of combat robots. i will rework the designs again soon and work in the suggested alterations.

-Kyle

Kyo/Kyle, ten yoyos is a company.

ok here is the finial set of designs for now. The minimum wall thickness is now 1.6mm and the focus of the weight distribution has been placed in the rims. i also made two new designs witch have a much more modern shape and feel.

at this time i am only looking at making 5 of these designs in proto-types. the first 4 designs i have already decided on, i am unsure of witch of the last four is worth of trying though, input would be much appreciated.

~dimensions 1.96" D 1.6" W 63.5 Grams without bearing/axle

~dimensions 1.96" D 1.6" W 63 Grams without bearing/axle

~dimensions 1.96" D 1.6" W 60 Grams without bearing/axle

~dimensions 1.96" D 1.6" W 61 Grams without bearing/axle

~dimensions 1.96" D 1.6" W 63 Grams without bearing/axle

~dimensions 1.96" D 1.6" W 62.5 Grams without bearing/axle

~dimensions 2.2" D 1.51" W 60 Grams without bearing/axle

~dimensions 2.2" D 1.56" W 61.2 Grams without bearing/axle

-Kyle

Looking good. That first ones a beast.

Its good that you are a machinist. Prototyping 4-5 at the same time is a ton of work (and money if you arent a machnist). Trying to launch 4-5 yoyos at the same time will take a ton of money. I am assuming you are protoing a few shapes an then will narrow down to 1 or 2.

FYI in case you didnt have this info already. I figure about 6-7g for axel, KK bearing and silicone.

Look awesome! What are they goona be made out of?

most likely 6061 aluminum simply because it is the most cost effective and i would like to keep these yoyos as affordable as possible.

for now im going to make 5 prototypes depending on how well the prototypes go over then ill decide what will go into a production run

1 Like

I anticipate seeing them. Make sure to post pictures of them. C=

Just watch your cash flow if you do more that 1 or 2 yoyos at a time. The material, anodizing, bearings, packaging etc can stack up real fast on you. If you are going serious on production trying to sell a bunch of yoyos at once can be difficult. Best to stay tight and focussed. Too much success can be a bad thing if you arent in a good position with cash flow.

If you are going serious on production trying to sell a bunch of yoyos at once can be difficult. Best to stay tight and focussed.

That’s just my business brain talking now.

Good luck. We’ll see you out there.

I’ll test this one;

That one is my favorite.

What’s actually awesome is that I actually made something like this that hasn’t been finished yet.

Also you could add those groves like on the Echo.

Very cool love the final designs!
I excited I’m sure you’re going to fine a very nice throw out of those 5.

If you need help testing, I’d love to test out the larger Dia. Throws :slight_smile:

Also thumb grind rings might be a good idea.