Positive stories and comments people share

This thread is for those positive stories and comments people share with you when they see or discover you yoyo.

I had one gentleman share a story that as a young man he had been a yoyo demonstrator. He even had some pictures in his wallet to back up his story. He was really interesting and very complimentary.

One of my favorite comments was from a young girl: “Can you do that in slow motion?”

I had one grandfather thank me for teaching his grandson how to yoyo. He went a purchased a yoyo himself so they could yoyo together.

Well that’s kind of the idea. Please just positive, fun, stories or comments.

Regards,
skitrz

I’ve met a few people here and there (usually in their twenties or early thirties) who yoyoed a lot around the late nineties. It’s always kind of fun talking to them.

I just started to yoyo.

My initial experience was actually quite bad. When I was 7, I was given a white Duncan Imperial(wood, not sure what the axle was). I could never properly operated it. I didn’t know how to throw it, nor was I shown, nor would anyone show me and all requests for help were answered with me being told I was stupid. I tried throwing it DOWN, PALM DOWN, but I could never get it to really return, much less sleep. Yes, it would usually creep back up the string around 50% at best. Palm up never occurred to me. I was yelled at for being so stupid for not being able to use a yoyo. Finally, after MONTHS of trying, the string broke, and I was yelled at for breaking the string. Well, nobody knew, myself included, that strings wear out. Anyhow, it was gathered up and summarily discarded and I got further punishment for breaking my toys. That was winter, 1978 to spring of 1979 time range.

Sucks. Really sucks. Saw yoyo on TV, thought it was cool. Saw people in the park throwing, thought it was cool. Got one, couldn’t do anything with it, if only I had gotten some guidance. So, the yoyo was gone, but my interest never faded, just in a status of “undetermined and largely forgotten”. But, not having spare care to spend on yoyos or even really actively persuing it, yoyo was just something I’d see on TV once in a while, and it was “you know, that’s just really cool”.

So, skip a whole lot of crap(OK, my life, whatever), and jump to May of 2011. I love what I do for a living: computers, networking, R&D, but also audio sound production and lighting design and own and operate a data communications company and live production company. But, it’s hard to have proper fun when you can’t set up your favorite console because it’s not only too big, but too heavy to do by yourself(5 feet tall in the case on wheels, and 84 inches wide and 400 pounds. The lid is 80 pounds on its own). I needed a different hobby. YoYo. That should be fairly affordable and available.

So, off to do some of the lamest research on yoyos. Lame, being I didn’t make much of an effort mainly because I didn’t realize that the yoyo went from simple to high-tech in 37 years. And who do I blame for this? Andre Boulay. If Andre does read this, he should be aware I hold him in high regards. I found his videos on YouTube, and he had “how to do this, how to do that”. I also saw some Hiroyuki Suzuki videos, but those made my head hurt. I hadn’t discovered YYE yet, but I found videos that I felt would get me over my initial hurdles. And, he did. So I started with a Reflex and an Imperial, since that’s all the local Toys R Us had and I felt Duncan was the best company around, even with Yomega on pegs nearby. I noticed “hey, he’s got a fancy yoyo, since i really want to do this, it might be time to step up to something modern”. Sometimes it’s best to use the same thing your instructor is using to at least have common starting point. Now I have a Dark Magic II and loving it for now.

Now 2 of my kids are into it, one has a ONE, the other has a BRAIN. Because I am into it. And my eldest kid, at 7, with her ONE, did a Jamaican Flag on her own a couple of days ago because she sees practice works.

My goal isn’t to save the world through yoyo. Right now I’m sort of on an anti-toys-with-batteries phase. I remember stuff like Slinky, Etch-A-Sketch, Play-Doh, Lego, Lincoln Logs, wind-up toys and stuff like that. While I absolutely gotta have my GameBoy Advance and Nintendo DS, they don’t get used so much. But it seems almost every toy has to beep and light up to be fun anymore and I’m getting tired of it. Kids don’t know how to play these days without batteries involved or plugged into the internet or it’s gotta be a video game system.

My goal isn’t to be some master or champion, but to have fun. But I also want to expose kids to the world of yoyo, doing small and simple presentations on National YoYoDay in pre schools or in grade schools. Show some tricks, do a short routine, show different styles, show a few short videos, show a wide variety of yoyos, answer questions and have some promotional yoyos to give out. And yes, I realize there’s gonna be some 7-10 year olds who could smoke me at yoyo, but that’s not the point. The point is to introduce and expose new people to something different. We’re losing kids to video games and computer massive multiplayer online games. Kids don’t read much anymore. Attention spans are dwindling. ADD and ADHD are too prevalent. Too many kids are autistic. WHile we don’t have answers to this, we have to look at trying something different. You never know what might grab a kid. Don’t let autism fool you, there’s some minds in there trapped and they could become the greatest yoyo players if that’s what they connect with. Then again, there’s a lot of broken children who will never get a fair shot because of their disability.

So, to those packing my yoyo orders, the variety is due in part to have something to show people, but I certainly intend to use them as well. All for show and not for throw? No way. I’ll learn a trick just to show the feature if I have to. I am not buying just to collect, I am buying to explore, to share, to inform.

Kids just need exposure to many things. Sports, board games, SOCIAL INTERACTIONS, bowling, chess, checkers, jacks, wind-up toys(I like those too), skill games and toys. Something you actually interact with that doesn’t need voltage.

Yoyo is fun. Now with YYF offering BOTTOM DOLLAR prices on massively fun throws(the ONE, the WHIP at $10 each? When they gonna come out with a looper at that price? Next month?), having a killer yoyo is almost within anyone’s grasp. Yes, you can always move up, but why so soon?

Granted, I won’t get sponsored by any company unless they just want a “ambassador of goodwill” for their product. I’ll never be competitive level skilled. But, you know what, I’m gonna have a great time every second of the way. And for every person I can bring a little joy to and open their mind just a tiny little bit, I’ll have met my goals. It’s not about sales, it’s about sharing. And if I can teach a kid a trick, then even better. Hey, I’m all open to sponsorship, but I’m just not the ideal candidate, but I won’t turn down an offer if it was presented to me.

Yoyo should be fun, enjoyable, positive and SHARED. For me, it’s something I can do whenever, almost where-ever. I can even do it on shows while ringing out monitors or waiting for things to happen. I can do it behind the big sound console during panels when things are running on auto pilot. Plus, I’m also battling depression and this is sure helping me get a little bit out of it. Sure is better than drugs to treat depression, which I ain’t gonna take anyways.

I’m so glad I just decided “hey, I’m gonna do this”. Best thing I’ve done in a while for myself. LONG while.

1 Like

Wow dude you have alot to say, good stuff, but alot…

As for the $10 looper comment, i have a shinwoo LOOP*, and i like it its pretty good.  (Even though im not ::slight_smile: )

*http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/302/Shinwoo-LOOP

I was actually the only person in school with a yoyo.
So that’s how i was known, “The guy with the yoyo” “The one that always has a yoyo”
Not even by my name, but it was flattering that people noticed it and gave me positive comments.
I got they usual “Hey that’s cool.”
But it was really nice to hear people saying good things.
Aha, the most amusing/good thing i heard was during lunch time while i was yoyoing: Me yoyoing by the usual bench, three to four people walk up to see and ask for tricks, so gladly i do, then one of the guys that was watching shouts out to his friend (who’s not watching) “Hey man! Have you seen this guy’s yoyo skills?!” the guy responds “Yeah i have! He’s like a Yoyo Jesus!” That made me laugh.
And that’s what people at school started calling me :stuck_out_tongue:

A few cool things to share…most taking place at softball games

A couple weeks ago I was at my niece’s softball game when I was throwing. Some kids nearby had a ProYo with them but sadly didn’t know how to use it. After their parents catching them aimlessly swinging it around and noticing me doing some tricks, they told their kids to “Watch this guy and practice like what he does…don’t go swinging that yoyo around!” Shortly after, I was showing the kids my yoyos I had on hand as well as the parent. The parent then told their kids to listen to what I was saying on how to set up their yoyo, string length and how to throw. Later, from what I heard, they were heading off to Toys R Us or somewhere to pick up a bearing yoyo. I told them to hit up YYE for tricks as well as checking out the yoyos they offer. The kids all seemed excited and were saying that they hope to get even more yoyos for Christmas, and hopes that their grand parents get them a yoyo. Nothing like motivating some kids that were initially hooked up to their Nintendo DS system into playing with a classic simple toy, as much as I had my 3DS on hand.

Last weekend, I was also at a game when I was messing around by the snack bar. A parent watches me for a few minutes, then calls their kid over and tells them “Watch this guy and see how a yoyo is played.” Later, I was doing some tricks when a guy comes up to me and asks what brand/kind of yoyo I was using. I showed him my Maverick and soon he was telling me about his Tom Kuhn collection he had/has. He then had me show him some tricks, and when I binded, he was shocked…he had me bind again just so he can see what happened. I then explained to him about unresponsiveness and showed him some tricks that involved unresponsive yoyos. I then showed him what I could (barely) do with 5A stuff and he was impressed with what few tricks I did know. Shortly after, we went on our ways.

Another time in Target, I was waiting for my cousin who was fixing something at Guest Services. While waiting, I whipped out my Popstar. After doing a few Boingy Boingy’s, a parent and their kid leave the area. The kid’s watching as she then says “Mommy, look at what that guy can do! He’s good!”

As much as I love the positive feedback from people, I feel more successful if I actually get someone into it/motivate them into checking out this hobby/sport/whatever you want to call it. I can only imagine yoyoing out front of Toys R Us, or in front of the yoyo endcap.

A year or so ago I gave a spider to a kid here in our small town that was getting into yoyoing. I knew it would be played in a kids special way and that the dings and gouges would just be a reflection of the joy of his yoyo journey. The other day I saw his mother and she said that to celebrate his birthday he had decided to give his birthday guests GOOD yoyo’s. He took his summer allowance and bought his friends some nice Journeys. He invited me to his party and asked if I’d mind helping him teach his friends how to yoyo. Cool kid, great idea!

It made me feel good.