Pointless

Q I’ve loved your posts but this one is wrong.Well atleast in my mind.If people want a yoyo they can buy one.I have no problem teaching but i wont give away yoyos to someone who probably wont use it.or know how to bind.Giving a yoyo away doesnt teach them it just gives them what they need to start(but it wont help becuase they probably dont know how to bind.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. 

This can convert to yoyoing.I wouldnt mind giving out a butterfly or spinstar but giving out 40 dollar yoyos or above is just stupid,ridiculous,ect.

And as mi said that they will use it more if they buy it in the sense that they want their monies worth.

I think it depends on the person you give it to because when i got a free yoyo i didn’t want to put a scratch on it.

Gives them what they need to learn… Sounds like an awfully good start to me. I know that I would’ve been into yoyoing alot sooner if someone would have given me a yoyo and showed me some of the tricks that I do today. When I was at the fair, I didn’t just give yoyos away, I taught people. I stood around for a long time teaching kids how to make the yoyo that “Didn’t wotrk” come back to their hands. And when they got it, their faces lit up. If I’m wrong in enjoying making a childs day, then I think I’ll stay wrong. To me, even the thought of someone starting yoyoing because of me is worth more than a Duncan MG.

I didn’;t just see a kid looking at me and say, “Here’s a DV888, go have fun”.

I talked to them, looked at what they knew. Gave them website names, and if they truly showed an interest, I gave them that first lesson. How to throw and bind. And if they got it, the got to keep a yoyo, it was my unspoken rule. If anyone could pick up how to bind, I’d give them one of my nicer yoyos. If they couldn’t, I’d give them a butterfly or something of the like.

Exactly. ^.

Yah, just be careful who you give them to. I understand that giving them away is great, but there are a majority of people that go home and never pick it up again. Partly because they don’t know were to get more tricks and such. Whenever I lend a yoyo i always tell the person to go to yoyoexpert or youtube and look up the tuts. And maybe giving it to a seven year old at first glance probably isn’t a good idea. It seems like they think everything is cool when they first see it. I’ve tried to get a lot of people into yoyoing but they’ve given up over time. But why shoulnd’t they? I’m not saying these people are being rude, but it is hard to judge if you’ll really like something in just a few hours. I’m not trying to contradict anything you’ve said Q, i don’t really know the cercumsances in which you give out your yoyo’s. These are just my thought.

I love giving away yoyos. :3
I’ve given away a Darkmagic, Xconvict, frantic, pyro lite, Protostar, A couple projams, legacy, and some other plastics to a buncha kids looking to get into it.
It makes me feel better about myself :3

This is how I would do it, I’d give a random kid a yoyo after he saw me doin’ my thang, but before i give it up I’d say “I’m Terminaly I’ll,My doctor says I have 3 months to live, and I want to make you this Deal, I’ll give you this Badass yoyo, if you promise to honor my memory by yoyoing at least 10 minutes a day” I’m not going to die and I feel perfectly healthy but thats how I would give away a yoyo

I want to tell you guy’s a little story. Very little. There is sthis guy named Abner Jones. Now Abner is a Big Burley Biker. He is a great guy and loves helping people. He has give me well over 15 yoyo’s. Some of them around the range of $100 to down to small parts. He hasn’t done this just for me. He’s probably given away upwards to 3 or 4 hundred yoyos. He see’s it as a way yo get done what needs to be done. Abner Helped me when I was not in the giving mood and didn’t have much to give. Because he gave without any expectations, I have gained that same yoyo lifestyle from him. I’ve given away a LOT of yoyo’s myself now. I’ll venture to say around 100. I never look back, I never tell them that they have to keep it. If they sell it the next day I’m fine with it. Right Samad! lol

Giving is not for you. It’s for whomever you give too. Because of my giving I think I have been blessed with more yoyo’s. Don’t be stingy unless you can’t give. And if you don’t want to that’s fine too. Just think though. Without Adam Brewster giving me my first yoyo and my son’s first yoyo, You wouldn’t have Icthus and B-Rad.

Q I like this.

thanks
Icthus

3 Likes

I agree, but I also still think it helps innumerably to hold their hand and help them get involved.

abner… abner… rings a bell… but a very small one… like the little dingy one you get from a quater machine…

The big Burley man next to Brad Collins.

while we are talking of protective over our collection, i cried when I dinged my y factor today, first time I got a ding that gave vibe, but thats not why I cried, its because my dad bought it for me…idk why, i just have some moral issue with damaging something I didn’t buy that makes me cry…i wouln’t care less if it were my meteor I dinged because I bought that…werrd…

Yo dude if I may say something in this area. I haven’t given away a yoyo, but I have done some other giving for the sake of spreading yoyoing, and I have to admit generosity is pretty darn awesome. I tip my hat to you sir.

You know Q, i don’t really think pointless is a good title for this thread. If you just to title it something sensable, people would have some idea of what there looking at when they search through the board. Naming it pointless doesn’t seem to help anything. It like a person posting a thread tiltled “Help” or “A noobish question”, which aren’t very good titles eather.

Good stuff Q!

However I do agree with the naysayers about giving throws away to beginners whom you’ve only met for a short time. That is hardly enough time for someone to really say “I really want to start yo-yoing” and once they get home the yo-yo is discarded on a shelf or in some toy bucket never to be used again.

That being said, it is a very nice gesture, but not a very good investment in my opinion. Teaching while at the fair while having some loaners people can use and play with is a much better way to keep the good intentions going and keep the loaners for future fair goers. If they really want to get one, you can give them a card or just tell them where to get them at. That way, they can contact you to learn more if they really want to get into it and if you get to know them and their intent is pure, then you can perhaps gift one to them.

I personally perform for myself anywhere I go that I have a spare few minutes to kill. I carry around my old beater, Protostar, for anyone who wants to try it. I’ve made it responsive with some thicker sized pads and anyone with a little tutelage can get it to come back up in a jiffy! I won’t let them keep my loaner, but they sure as heck can play with it while they’re hanging with me!

Keep up the good intentions though! I think it’s great you were able to get paid while doing this. Spreading the word so that people can understand and enjoy what we enjoy is always beneficial to our cause!

I argree with Q
You should give yoyos away because some people want to yoyo but they dont like spending 30 dollars on a yoyo so if you give them a yoyo they’ll start playing and who knows, they might become a pro. But becarful who you give yoyos to, i gave away a legacy and the person who got it quit after a week

But did they sell out. If they still have the throw they could pick it back up. I did after 7ish years.

I have spread yoyoing to a few of my friends and they love it but i dont have many chances. So i just show off to people when i go to stores and the mall and hope they get interested.

I spread it to you, Dillon. Get it right. :stuck_out_tongue: