Other store mystery box?

What did you guys get in your mystery box? I am looking for those who got the “Duncan Low” mystery box, cause that is what I got?

1 Like

It’s frowned upon to mention competing yo-yo stores on a forum hosted by a yo-yo store.

11 Likes

mods keep in mind that i am not advocating people to go to a certain store, or another this is a genuine question

2 Likes

You can ask a legit question w/o explicitly mentioning a competing on line store…

2 Likes

It would be cool if this yoyo store did mystery boxes too. :grinning::+1:

Maybe someday!

4 Likes

my assumption is that mystery boxes are a scam. hopefully you get some good though

2 Likes

YYE has worked with YYF to offer mystery boxes in the past. Despite the “grab bag” nature of them being a turnoff for some people, there are quite a few people in the community that are excited to buy a “mystery box” or other “mystery” item. YYF frequently featured one or two mystery (“trust Ben”) items during B-grade sales in May. (RIP A-May-zing.) Some companies, like G2, have done “mystery” colors where you don’t know what the color is going to be. OD has done this to the extreme with the Marquis and Mantis where not only was the color(s) uncertain, but it was possible to get the Ti version.

This time the run will be 600 units called The Mantis, featuring a selection of solid colors, classic fades, nickel plating and titanium. They’re sealed up just like the Marquis, so you won’t have a clue what you’re going to get until you rip open that box! We have increased the odds of getting a titanium over what it was with our first Blind Box (and increased the number of them from 5 to 10). We also increased the odds of getting a non-solid color overall.

I have also seen (reputable) traders on the FB BST offer mystery boxes, usually with a rough idea of the type of things that will end up in a box, but no assurances. (Although I have seen some sellers [individual and company] go so far as to be willing to tweak the contents so people don’t end up with duplicates of yoyos they already own, if it’s reasonable.)

While I am personally not interested in them, there is clearly enough interest in surprise and uncertainty in the community to support these types of offers. (See also, Woot Bag of Crap)

4 Likes

I’d love another Onedrop mystery anything

7 Likes

The mystery is when will the next One Drop :rofl:

But seriously, me too though.

4 Likes

I agree. Mystery boxes are just a way to get rid of left over stock from what I can tell. There’s probably the occasional exception to this rule but it’s rare

1 Like

a mystery box is what introduced me to the Grasshopper GTX. I probably never would have thought about buying one otherwise. Now it’s one of my favorite throws.
I’m sure I’m in the minority but mystery boxes can be fun and rewarding.

With that said the other mystery box I purchased was a YYF 444… I sold it immediately

1 Like

This is indeed mostly the case… BUT One Drop mystery boxes are always really, really great. Super awesome way to try some of their throws if you don’t have many of their releases or (if you’re like me) buy everything they release.

3 Likes

Agree, the one mystery One Drop box I bought ended up being the Free Solo, so I was able to try it a month or two before it’s actual release. Turning Point and YoYoRecreation Lucky Bags are also supposed to be a good deal.

Did something happen where YYF said they aren’t doing A-May-zing anymore?

1 Like

I too will stand by the OD mystery boxes, even though one time I got 2 Legendary Terrarians :stuck_out_tongue:

YYF mystery boxes have also been a great value!

Maybe one day I’ll experience the YYR Lucky Box :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Well, what has been said a few times in the last year is that they aren’t going to be doing the B-grade sale the way they have been doing it for the past few years. I think the plan is to do something but I’m not sure what.

Maybe @yyfben2.deactivated can enlighten us.

4 Likes

As mentioned by @Malachi:

These YYE X YYF mystery boxes are hardly ever a scam, and I have bought like 3 of them so far. They always contain new releases from YYF that nobody will have (except for one year) and they’re always priced very affordably and a great deal as well. The most recent mystery box introduced the Uppercut and the bimetal KO at only $60 which is an insane deal. Usually, there will be a mystery box on Black Friday and another one near Christmas, so look out for those periods!

4 Likes