oops i lost my focus

Some dish soaps work better than others. There’s two things that make dish soap good:

1: It breaks down most oils. This is why we use a solvent for cleaning bearings is because it breaks down oils. Dawn dish soap is known for breaking down oils, yet stays a lot gentler on hands than many other dish soaps. Heck, they use Dawn to clean otters and sea birds after oil spills, but we’re usually talking crude, not refined products.

2: Dish soaps are designed to rinse cleanly and completely, leaving no residue. With bearings, it takes a bit more effort to really force water through the bearing to remove all the lube and soap, but it’s not difficult. A stronger stream works best. But, via this method, because you’re pushing water through the bearing, you’re also removing much more contaminants, which the dish soap is also helping to loosen up to be rinsed away.

The only warning about dish soap and water is you really need to make sure you get that bearing completely dry to avoid rust. Blowing and/or spinning(both are preferred) are what you ideally want to do. If you completely dry the bearing, you’re fine.

Stainless shouldn’t rush.

i cleaned the bearing with minecral spirits and fixed it

Don’t count on it.

Just don’t lube it

i did lube it and it is still fine

Well mineral spirits can crack the plastic on yoyos (thats what happend to my old velocity anyways)
so after you’ve soaked the bearing in mineral spirits put the bearing on the end of o pencil or any thing it will fit on then spin the bearing with your finger. you should see some drops of mineral spirits come out then keep spinning it until your sure you have all of it out then put the lube on a needle and drop it in the bearing and you should be good

Hope this helped!

EDIT oops i didn’t notice your question got answerd already

If I cleaned a bearing because it has gone responsive, I like to put it in dry, throw it a while, and confirm that the bearing without lube is indeed unresponsive. If it’s responsive it might be time for the garbage for that bearing.

If it’s unresponsive, I take it out again, lubricate, and replace.

Then if it’s a bit responsive, I know it just needs breaking in.

But your mileage may vary.

WORST ADVICE EVER, Water and bearings no mix ever.

OK.

If you completely dry out your bearing, there’s no problem. It’s when you DO NOT completely dry out your bearing is when you have the problem.

Considering we also have yoyo’ers who either:
1: Don’t have access to solvents
2: OR refuse to use proper stuff

At least this is an option most of them have access to. Sorry for the bad advice. It does work and it works fine. It’s still not my preferred choice, but it can be quite effective.

Water and detergent works fine, Graiskye. End of story.

Silly humans…

Clean yo bearing with some o dat MINERAL SPIRITS!!! Lalalalalalala*

O, I prefer me some Mineral Spirits or acetone. But that doesn’t mean that water and detergent is the “WORST IDEA IN HISTORY!” or whatever.

I prefer acetone and mineral spirits as well Im sure water and detergent works fine but i woudn’t recomend it

So what’s the velocity made of? Must be some kind of substandard plastic. :wink:

I’ve used mineral spirits to actually clean the bodies of polycarb, delrin and celcon yoyos with no ill effects.

yeah im pretty sure that the new velocity is made of ceclon which ic why i used it