Online yoyo comps for kids

Hey Jax’s mum Lauren here. Seen some talk of online comps with kids categorys (i will be honest the comp side of all this baffles me no idea what 1a etc means🤣) and wondered if theres any UK / worldwide online comps that do a starter/under 10’s sections to get Jax on the circuit as he is only 7
@Jax_yoyos (insta)

5 Likes

I believe ante will be happening again next year and if it does it be a great contest to do. Outside of that most contest happen in person. Depending on where you are you might have one not far from you. But I’m not very familiar with the UK scene.

2 Likes

I believe there is 2 major UK contests a year. Weather he’s ready to compete or not, they will be worth going to! The contests are a huge factor in pushing this community forward and for 95% of us it’s the only change we get to hang out and meet other yoyoers.

I’m in the USA so i don’t know the details of the Uk contests.

But that said, Jax being so young shouldn’t be an issue. There’s always youngsters at contests and they fit right in. (We’re the weird ones playing with kids toys) even if he doesn’t get up on stage, it will be an amazing experience for him and you as well! And if he does get up on stage, even better! I bomb everytime but it is so much fun!

5 Likes

@chaosgow Maybe you can give some insight into the UK side of things?

1 Like

I live in UK (London), we have basically 2 big contest here, the National contest (which moves around as location) around April and the SRC (South Regional Contest) which usually is in Brighton in September.

We do have meetings in London once every 2 weeks and we are a good group of people, I know about some meetings in North Uk but I do not know exactly were but there is movement also North, people from south usually come to the London meetings.

We have at the moment only those 2 contest and seems alright, is a great chance to meet lot of players, have fun, buy some new yoyos and products (at the contest you find the stand from 2 UK shops), is overall a great fun day to have both if you competing or not!

If you check on Instagram there is a page called: Britishyoyoassociation which is also a facebook group, the collective post over there all the dates and in the facebook group also the meetings!

See you all soon :slight_smile:

5 Likes

There is no youngster division in the UK, but there is Trick Ladder which is meant for newer players of all ages. Trick Ladder is doing a set of pre-defined tricks along with the other compeititors at the same time. Yotricks has tutorials for all of those tricks in order, but it doesn’t get too far down the list so don’t be put off by the more advanced tricks at the end. I once lost to a cool 8 year old girl, everyone got a prize pack, so I gave her mine and she was super excited.

One of my favourite things about the UK yoyo scene is that nobody will care how good anyone is and everyone will be supportive and excited to see anyone compete on stage. Jax will make a lot of new friends of all ages and abilities. He’ll learn loads of new tricks and he’ll get to try a bunch of yoyos with his new friends.

5 Likes

Thanks so much everyone. I must say everyone in the yoyo community is so helpful and supportive. Really pleased my son has picked this hobby! He is glued to youtube practising morning and night and is pretty good for 7, tho gets very frustrated he can’t do godspeed or horisontal tricks yet :rofl:

5 Likes