One Drop Side Effects Weight

The tension would keep it in place when the string is under tension. I am more wondering about those times when it isn’t, such as during slacks, whips, and other tricks where there is some slack in the line. After thinking about it though, I agree with you. The lack of tension is not probably in place long enough for the Magnus effect to impact the play of the yo-yo. Still fun to contemplate these sort of things. ;D

I saw that video, it was thrown off the Gordon Dam in Tasmania. I have also seen some model aircraft using rotating cylinders as wings as a means of propulsion.

I would think that side effect should effect the feel of the yoyo in a sense that the weight distribution will be different relative to the total weight of the yoyo.

Let’s say a yoyo is 65grams with light side effect, and it’s 66grams with heavy side effect. The one with the heavier side effect will feel somewhat lighter (instead of heavier) to throw or there is less kickback, since the relative rim weight actually decrease (the percentage of the rim weight vs the total weight actually decrease), but on the string it will feel slightly heavier. When you swap it with the lighter side effect, the percentage of the rim will increase relative to the total weight, and that will actually make it feel there is more rim weight compared to the heavy side effect setup.

Or in short the lighter side effect causes it to feel more ‘rim weighty’ yet lighter on the string, and vice versa.

It’s easier to feel the relative rim weight difference than total weight difference, at least for me. I’ve been experimenting with this before, adding more center weight actually makes it feel more airy or lose kickback due to the yoyo unrolling faster (due to added weight but little increase in rim weight to counter it).
On the string we will perceive both the total weight difference AND the kickback difference thus making it somewhat like a different yoyo.

I have a green Prescription and tried it with many different sets. My favorite set up is with a set of Energy Domes. I just love the extra little bit of punch that the extra gram of weight give the yo-yo. I need to get a set of yellow Energy Domes to put in my Prescription. I plan on making it my work throw and keep it in my classroom. Green and yellow are our school colors. :slight_smile:

I ordered the ‘O’ benchmark on sale and I’m looking forward to trying out the side effects. I think they look cool. Rumor has it there is a Cabal coming my way as well :wink: These will be my first side effect enabled throws!

Both are excellent throws. I hate to be the bearer of bad news though… the Cabal is not a Side Effect enabled throw. Different axle system that is not compatible with Side Effects.

1 Like

Review on the prescription? ;D ;D
Also am I the only one who sees the uncanny resemblance of the Energy domes to the Chris Reeves Sebenza thumb studs?

Prescription Review

I am 99.9% sure they got the idea from somewhere else. :wink:

1 Like

I would suggest you contact the creator of the Energy Dome Side Effects and just ask what the inspiration was…

db

That is a great idea. David would totally know what the inspiration was. ;D

He wasn’t there when they were invented, so he would only be guessing…

db

Dang!!! You are correct, I totally forgot about that… we should definitely ask Shawn. :smiley:

facepalm you still don’t get it… sheesh!

db

Didn’t realize that. Hmm, it looked like it had side effects but I guess those colored buttons are something different then.

I could tell without question when I had my summits if they had ultra lights or spike. I count tell a difference between domes and spikes other than looks. Spikes just look cooler. :slight_smile: I really preffered my Summits heavier. Then i sold them, and accidently found an Avalanche. It plays how I wished the summit did. SO happy.

We’ll, I can make sure they’re disposed of properly if you ever change your mind.

sorry, but you’d better buy in this store? They are both available …

I think we’re done here.

Original question was answered–Thanks Andre!
And I never intended to debate physics.

1 Like

What more can we say… :wink:

(Cleaned and sanitized for your reading enjoyment)

I compiled the weights here