One Drop Flat Bearings Are Outdated: Change My Mind

Well, if you doubt what I’m saying than why don’t you start a poll to find out what your potential customers actually want?

I’m still pretty sure that the majority of throwers who buy a “competition-shaped yoyo” want it to come with a bearing that makes it spin as long as possible and also to be able to be played horizontally.

If you want to be stubborn about this that’s allright with me but ask yourself if that’s really in the best interest of your customers and your company.

It’s an undeniable fact that flat bearings cause more contact with the yoyo which shortens spintime and it’s also a fact that flat bearings make it basically impossible to throw horizontally.

But most modern players obviously want the longest possible spintime and yoyos that can perform horizontal tricks.

I don’t get why you can’t just swap it out. It’s not a big deal.

OneDrop def. cares about it’s customers. If it didn’t, David would have started ignoring this thread a long time ago. It’s their product. You buy it. You can choose not to.

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree. I swap out every flat bearing that comes in my One Drops, and I don’t find it to be such a big deal. However, the added expense of $5 for a different bearing probably rubs some folks the wrong way. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I don’t really have an issue with OD continuing to ship their yoyos with flat bearings. I actually think it’s fine that they stick to it because it’s the signature they’ve developed, and I’ve mentioned this before.

My last response was mainly targeting how David doesn’t believe that most players prefer a centering bearing in more powerful, competition oriented yoyos. Mentioning competition players was merely an example simply because that’s a large market for those that enjoy full sized, rim weighted yoyos.

We got a discussion if we’re talking about the ratio of who prefer flat vs. centering in a Markmont Classic but like I said, how many people are actually swapping out their centering bearing for a flat in their YYRs, UNPRLDs, etc.

1 Like

That raises an interesting side question: how many One Drops would even qualify as “competition performance” throws anyway? The VTWO and what else? I mean, it’s not like their catalog is flowing over with competition throws. That just doesn’t seem to be their jam in general.

I think he meant normal players. Not comp players.

He already did a poll, I’m pretty sure it was fairly balanced. OD’s market is different than a company like UNPRLD. They generally have a more “casual” target audience and most of their yoyos are not built for pure performance and competition. So I don’t think it would be that beneficial for them to switch.

But I definitely agree if there’s a poll for who prefers concaves or flats in their bimetals and other rim weighted yoyos in general, not just OD specifically, it would be heavily skewed towards centering.

2 Likes

But how many players are actually comp players?

Not much. I mean okay you have the people that take 18th or whatever at a state or regional level contest, but give any decent yoyo with any bearing to a worlds semi finalist and i bet they could hit all of that players tricks np.

Its like 5% of the equation of yoyoing.

1 Like

Oh no, brace yourself…

1 Like

Not many. You’re right. Which is why I think it’s ok for them to stick with flats. What I was talking about was just competition performance yoyos in general. @Knot_Funny wasn’t talking about OD’s specifically, just competition V’s in general.

It’s still the same. The people that are enjoying those competition-oriented yoyos most likely want the benefits of a centering bearing. Once again. Who is actually swapping the centering bearing for a flat in their Draupnirs, Hummingbirds, Kenshins, Abductions, Flashbacks?

I think I would expand that question to: But how many players are comp players or are inspired by comp players and want to use the same gear as comp players?

Once you account for the way most yoyo customers think about their yoyo choices, you sort of have to acknowledge that performance takes the market leadership role in terms of most relevant factors.

2 Likes

I’d say about half tbh

There’s a lot more contests than you think there are lol.

I think half is padding it quite a bit. Currently there are 12,484 members here on YYE. There are a lot on Facebook that are not members here, there are a number of others that are not on YYE or Facebook. So you’re saying roughly 7,000 people compete?

5% is roughly 630 people. That’s probably a pretty safe number that actually compete.

2 Likes

I think y’all are missing my point. I just want to know if the percentage of people that prefer flat bearings over centering bearings in a rim-weighted, competition oriented yoyo is even close to equal? Do you think that’s the case?

If I had to guess I’d say the answer would be a resounding no.

I’d say around 6000 of those people overall are active.
6000 active members
I’d bet around 3000 people have competed in the last couple of years.
There were 500 people just in Shanghai Worlds last year.

Not sure. I honestly think you’d probably get two categories, those that prefer a centering bearing, and then those that don’t think about it, or those that don’t care one way or the other. Like you said most are not swapping a bearing in a YYR or other high end competition yoyo. But I think there is a solid group that if they got one from the BST would never look to see what bearing it had.

That competed? Wow! Didn’t know that there was that many there.

I’d still be very shocked if 3000 people on this site alone have competed in the past 2-3 years.

2 Likes

Maybe, but those folks aren’t expressing a choice/preference in doing that. They are expressing profound indifference, and aren’t terribly germain to a question aimed at getting inside the minds of yoyoers who actually care about what’s in their yoyos.