One Drop Flat Bearings Are Outdated: Change My Mind

No Onedrop yoyo I’ve ever owned has felt right without a 10 ball in it.

12 Likes

Yes this is 100% correct and was confirmed… at some length … in their latest Q&A. They also said they make a slightly looser bearing seat so it is easy to change the bearing and that is DEFINITELY true :wink:

I also recall someone saying that a strong centering bearing kinda removes the play differences of some yo-yo designs, so in that sense it reduces your “feel”.

I’d also add that there are really three kinds of bearings:

1. Totally flat
  2. Mostly flat (CT)
  3. Strongly centering (KK full concave, V shape, string groove, etc)

The difference between #1 and #2 is pretty minimal IMO, you get almost all the benefits of flat with the major benefits of concave. So to me, full flat is kinda… obsolete, TBH. The “moral” argument doesn’t hold water because the CT is a better technological innovation than pure concave (KK).

But I’d also add strong centering bearings indeed have a strong effect on play, and shouldn’t be put in unless you agree that you kinda want an opinionated centering behavior in your yo-yo!

7 Likes

Never been a fan of grooved bearings myself. It seems to turn yoyos into snag machines for me.

6 Likes

Good old bearing opinions.

I like them all. I find that in different yoyos I like different bearings. The 420 only feels right with a ten ball for example. If I could only have one type of bearing it would be 10 ball.

4 Likes

I like KKs better than CTs :raising_hand_man:t2:

11 Likes

also a fan of KK’s over CT’s

7 Likes

Same here - can’t stand grooved bearings. Prefer flat or CT depending on the yoyo.

5 Likes

I don’t have a super amazing range of bearings. I mostly have 8 ball CTs I pulled from yoyos I got. I have like 5 10 ball CTs, 1 kk, 1 knock off kk, 1 groove bearing, a couple no brand flat bearings, and like 2 OD bearings so my bearing tastes aren’t too broad, though I do like what the OD bearings and CTs I have that work have to offer

:yo-yo:

1 Like

A-RT ships all their stuff with the fancy Japanese DS bearing. Which is effectively a CT.

6 Likes

hmm I haven’t tried an A-RT yoyo nor have a tried a fancy Japanese DS bearing :thinking:

2 Likes

Overview of shapes

• Flat is… flat. Simple. :slight_smile:

• CT is flat in the middle, angled up slightly on each end. I would kiiiinda put DS and “pixel” in this category as well (four “steps” meaning the middle is relatively flat and the sides are angled up more).

• Pure concave, V, and string groove are all strong centering and conceptually really do force the string into the center at all times.

6 Likes

I know they do and I love the DS bearings just not in the 420. Also got my 420 used with one of the common cheap _/ shaped bearings. Idk what people call those.

2 Likes

I feel you on this. I haven’t tried any of the A’RT’s yet, but based off of their minimalist organic designs, it seems like they were made to be played on a flat.

DS bearings are my number 1 choice in my competition yoyos; best performance bearing I’ve ever used.

I can get that some people enjoy them. Im not one of them. I have replaced the bearing in every OD i own. Not to mention i have had a problem with most of them becoming really noisey despite persistent maintenance. Ill happily keep buying OD and putting my preferred bearing in em’. They are worth it.

5 Likes

here we go again

9 Likes

I appreciate the One Drop guys input on this, and of course all my fellow forumers. I totally ‘get’ where OD is coming from on this; it’s their product, they ship it with the knowledge that many will swap it for their preferred bearing, and it’s a bit of a respect thing. I respect all of that. That being said, I believe the evidence to be pretty empirically conclusive that there are better bearings out there (G2 Boss and Buddha Ripples come ro mind, NSK gold KK) and since OD is one of the greats, it makes sense to me that they would possibly want to maximize potential of their throws. Does my position make sense?

1 Like

Not quite…

So for clarification, your saying that in your opinion, OD should want to maximize the potential of their yo-yos by shipping them with non-flat bearings?

2 Likes

I’m not trying to tell a successful company what to do at all, esp considering I have no experience in such things. I was merely explaining my position, my rationale. The company has a great product, makes sense to me if I had a great product, and an opportunity to make the product even greater by maximizing potential through implementation of superior internals, I would do so.

So yes, I suppose I saying exactly what you said :wink: See Chad, you’re starting to get me. Oh hey just fyi, I still havent worn through the strings you gifted me, great product on your side as well :100:

1 Like

Just a little more perspective offered from this same conversation not to long ago:

5 Likes