One Drop Flat Bearings Are Outdated: Change My Mind

Becko said it. Closed case.

6 Likes

There you have it @AaronW , is Colin seasoned enough for you :thinking:

1 Like

One player doesn’t speak for all. That’s like picking one kid that doesn’t like a certain cereal and then saying every kid isn’t going to like that cereal :joy:

Colin, just curious, is that because you haven’t used flats that much?

1 Like

17 Likes

Hahaha right?

This topic is so amusingly, ironically similar to the “Flats vs. Rounds” topic which comes up on the bass forums every month or two.

Roundwound strings have a certain presence and articulation to them and are generally preferred by anyone who wants volume, good slap dynamics, or a gutsy modern tone. Flatwounds are the classic original electric bass string heard on a bazillion classic motown soul, funk, blues and early rock records. They have different tension, different feel, they’re each a totally different experience in play and appropriate for different situations. Flats could be considered “outdated” because they’re less versatile, harder to mix and record, and just no longer the standard… but some players just adore that classic feel/sound, and they find them more applicable to the style they like to play.

In those threads, the “flats” players will NEVER accept that their materials are outdated, because they’re still playing them and don’t consider the style they suit irrelevant. And the “rounds” players will NEVER be satisfied unless everyone agrees that the versatility and sonic definition offered by roundwounds is fundamentally superior. In the majority-rule sense, the rounds guys win every time, but it’s always an impasse, just like longboards vs shortboards or whatever other intractable dichotomy you want to insert.

And at the end of the day, whether you play flats or CT’s, whooooooooooooo caaaaaarrrrrrres? You’re still all yo-yoers, and it’s not like you can even tell what bearing someone’s playing unless they declare it, so just play what you like and don’t worry if it’s considered outmoded or cutting edge.

8 Likes

Flats, longboards and manual transmissions are all still the best :joy:

3 Likes

concaves FTW :triumph::triumph::triumph:

2 Likes

I think a more interesting discussion is their are any bearing shapes that haven’t been made. I can’t think of any new concepts but would love to see new ideas thrown around.

1 Like

Convex! For those who prefer their string jammed against the wall.

14 Likes

First off, what Ed said is the real facts here. But…
I am 99 percent sure that at least like 18/20 worlds finalist every year use curved bearings. I do not know of a single top level player (i.e. worlds finalist nationals finalist etc) that prefers flat bearings. I don’t mean to say this as a diss towards flat bearings, but for competition, they aren’t really the choice of many from my attention. I’m sure people compete with them, but it’s not common for winners/etc to be using them. (take that for what its worth to you) They certainly are fun to use regardless and I just think the two types serve different preferences.

I used flat bearings for the first 2-3 years I was yo-yoing probably.

15 Likes

Thanks for the reply :+1:

1 Like

Lmaooo the following comments too

2 Likes

I don’t feel like flat vs centering effects my play much at all. Feel, yes. Play, no. I agree that, theoretically, centering bearings have most of the benefits that people have already talked about, but at the end of the day, they don’t make much difference to me in practice.

I will mention a downside to centering bearings that I don’t think I’ve seen come up in this thread yet (albeit I haven’t read every response). Centering bearings tend to bunch strings up in the gap more in my experience, so I get a lot of odd friction or string grabbing on certain tricks. Again, this doesn’t make or break my play, just something that I’ve noticed.

1 Like

Oh boy this discussion again…People in the community legit have ‘hate’ for me over this discussion :joy:

Centering bearings make hitting tricks easier. I think that’s pretty obvious. Flat bearings have less stability in comparison.

But also yes…

I much prefer the literal feeling I get of having the control in my own hand chops/ability vs my throw having that stability and me ‘not’. For me when you have the control in your own hands, not only does it feel amazing when you get comfortable with adjusting tilt, it ‘can’ make you a more well rounded player and give you more room to mess with the full range of movement of the throw more at will - don’t have to work as hard to manipulate the speed and flow of the throws natural timing. Throws on centering bearings and throws that are overly stable can be a an actual effort to like…get ‘loose’ with.

I’ve used both flat and centering and have competed with both. I’ve always preferred the feeling of flat. For me it feels more balanced and I feel less kinda ‘stuck’ in the gap.

I could go on for days on this topic but I think that’s at least a decent start.

22 Likes

I think anyone who posted in this topic more than 10 times should have all their bearings magically substituted with convex :sparkles::mage:

trollface … also oohh noooo I posted in this topic 22 times noooooooo

5 Likes

Do you skateboard at all? Your reasoning reminds me of the type of guys who keep their trucks so loose that your average skater can’t even use it.

Speaking of Markmonts, I was just blessed with the ability to order a Markmont Classic. So from the mind of the man himself, I would do best to keep the OD 10 ball right there on it’s MC post? :facepunch:

Naw - I can coast decent on a board - but I ski.

5 Likes

Personally I would. I’ve thrown it extensively with both centertrac and flat - def prefer flat. I also get my bearing and keep my bearing ‘very’ silent. Always a more enjoyable experience when I’m not hearing the bearing.

6 Likes

Yes, finally, someone with CORRECT opinions around here … :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes