NO ORIGINAL - Y3TI yoyo design thread

I though I would create a thread to share my yoyo designs. More to come

NO ORIGINAL
PROTOTYPE 001
DIAMETER: 56mm
WIDTH: 38mm
WEIGHT: 54g
MATERIAL: Shapeway’s “versatile plastic” (Nylon 12)
MANUFACTURING METHOD: Selective Laser Sintering
The design of this yoyo was intended to be my own spin on the classic Freehand design.
I wanted schmoove grooves to relieve string friction and I swear it makes binds feel better but I can’t prove that, it’s just a feeling.
Secondly, I wanted to increase the power of the yoyo by a bit while keeping a balanced feeling and landed on my double rim weight design.
The steel rings I used were cheap and easy to source but I had to use three .3mm rings in place of one 1mm ring at each spot which is part of why it’s much underweight.
The material that it’s made of has a super interesting texture that is hard to describe. It feels almost like a ceramic or paper.
I’m going to get a SLA resin printer for future designs and have a lot planned. Thanks for reading

NO ORIGINAL
PROTOTYPE 001
“OG” PAPERWEIGHT
D:56mm
W:38mm
WGHT:60.6g

I added two .3mm weight rings to the outer rim. I like this yoyo being on the light side. It has enough inertia to take what you throw at it so keeping it light and balanced is key.
The texture of this plastic really feels like paper and takes to being drawn on well.

Instagram

15 Likes

NO ORIGINAL
PROTOTYPE 002
FIXED AXLE
DIAMETER: 57.8mm
WIDTH:36.65mm
WEIGHT:51g
SLA 3D PRINTED

this is my first 3d printed resin yoyo
This one came out funky after some rookie mistakes but thankfully it’s playable and pretty fun
It’s fully 3d printed, made from three printed, and cannot be taken apart

I have several improvements in mind that I’m testing on the yoyo currently printing and on my next fixed axle

NO ORIGINAL
PROTOTYPE 003
DIAMETER: 57mm
WIDTH:45.5mm
WEIGHT:63g
SLA 3D PRINTED

This one came out way better
Double rims
I give it a 6 out of 10
More to test

10 Likes

NO ORIGINAL
PROTOTYPE 004
DIAMETER: 55mm
WIDTH:31mm
WEIGHT:62g (66g with bigger rim weights)
21.5 OD pads
SLA 3D PRINTED

First slimline that I’ve made. The high wall with a slight curve outward was inspired by the Duncan profly and the bumblebee (maybe get? Idk haven’t used it)
I think people underestimate the power from slimline throws. Making the rim weight closer to the string doesn’t affect power at all, in my understanding.
I made the size of the pads 21.5mmx14mm rather than 19mmx14mm
It seemed like it would play well and honestly I love it. I haven’t tested it much but you can feel the extra grip. Especially with high power it just feels great.

Not sure if I prefer it at 62g or with slightly thicker rings putting it at 66g

Interestingly, Although the yoyo is bumpy and unevenly printed at a lot of the inside of the two parts, with the weight rings there isn’t much vibe. A bit of fingernail vibe but that doesn’t bother me too much. I figured this might happen, in that the moment from the weight rings overpowers the vibe from the light body. Not sure if that’s actually happening here but it seems that way.

Still having issues with the quality of the inside of prints. Hoping to work it out soon

6 Likes

Kinda looks like a cookie. Overall better print but still things to work on. Really liking the design though. Slim thick

Before I dyed the rims

Transaxle bearing prototype That is surprisingly fun so far. Sleep for 45-60 seconds and it feels nice and smooth. I think I can get it way better though

3 Likes