New Release from Rain City! The Author!

From Rain City Skills: The Author is a yoyo I’ve been waiting years to make. When I was working with King Yo Star, I had the opportunity to release a signature yoyo. The Pun was a great yoyo, but it wasn’t perfect. Five years later I have a lot more experience and a different set of needs.

First and foremost, I wanted a yoyo I’d enjoy playing. Something that wouldn’t be work to throw, that is smooth on the string and stable enough to work through designing a trick, and more importantly, teaching a trick. I’m also dealing with multiple shoulder injuries from car accidents. Most yoyos in the 64g+ range hit the end of the string with a tug and have a tug on the bind. It’s not a lot, but it adds up to reduced throwing time. When Justin and I were working on this design, light weight was my #2 design goal.

We ended up with a 56g yoyo. That’s right, 56g. When I got the prototype, I played with it for a week before it occurred to me to weight it. The proto was 55g, we added 1g to the rim so it would have a good thumb grind lip.

I think you are going to love this throw, it’s light but powerful, and has a comfortable curve. It sits somewhere in the “W” shape ballpark but leaning towards an “O” shaped gap rather than a “V”. And of course, The Author includes the signature Rain City Skills Lego hub you’ve come to know and love.

7 Likes

This is a really neat throw! I have a proto that’s 3 grams lighter…and it’s cool because it feels like nothing else I own.
There’s no tug at the end of the string with it…it feels super light and floaty…but with plenty of spin time.
Really fun throw! I highly recommend!!

8 Likes

do the lego plates Talon Grind well?

2 Likes

that colour is cool, almost 80s green.

2 Likes

I’ve never tried talon grinds so hopefully someone else can answer.

Also…what kinds of lego pieces do you guys use for your Rain City Skills throws? (or with the 1 drop side effects)

I only have a small collection so far…

2 Likes

i don’t have any OD’s or Rain City throws lol.

2 Likes

Looks interesting. Has anyone tried it yet?

1 Like

Here’s some video reviews on it:

1 Like

I’ve been working on a science fiction novel for a few years now, and when I saw that a yoyo called the Author had been released, with a “sci-fi” colorway, I couldn’t say no!

6 Likes