New Onedrop prototype "Yelets"

I’m guessing right along with you then!!! That would be really good for the Graeme fans…

Spikes or domes on that would be awesome. I want to pick one up if i can

Who said this was going to be 56mm? :wink:

Also, I think you are missing one of the fundamental advantages of Side Effects. If a yo-yo is too light, throw some brass in the hub. No one has released a weight on this as of yet so it may fit your criteria, but if it doesn’t Brass Spikes are always an option.

Oh man… if its a Steller sig throw im gonna have to buy it…

My thoughts exactly! I’d rather them make it too light
Then customize it to suit me best!

But which SE adds weight to the rims?

discs might.

This is why I’ve never really liked a SE yoyo.

Hahaha!!! NICE one,Pajama Man!

Yup

My problem with side effects is, more often than not, the model works okay with a few side effects, but crap if you want to make it any heavier. It just feels heavy without the benefit that intelligently placed weight provides.

I agree. I only play with stock SE’s or Ultra Lights.

A) Its not a signature model of anyone.

B) Brass domes tend to be appropriate for weight adding. Mini discs as well.

C) “Intelligently placed weight”. Make it sound like Onedrop does not know how to design. Foolish.

D) Code2 has rim weight. Cascade was designed for mid-weight. Thats a branch off “repetitive lineup”.

E) the ripple thing in the rims is more then likely for irg, uniqueness for the rim design. It could also be reflection.

F) Once David releases the proper info for this yoyo you will all understand and hopefully support it. So far I’m just reading the usual silly complaints about SE’s and a few people likeing the design.

I don’t think that’s true, Zammy. I think it’s obvious that Side Effects haven’t reached their full potential yet. The way I see it, currently they are an exceptional axle system. Forget about weight; this is a great system for axles. On top of that, they allow you to change the pure aesthetics of a throw, which for those of us who like customization (in general) is a great thing. Add to that some minor changes you can make to center weight and you’ve added additional value. Top it off with the ability to add functionality (spikes for matador play; stunt pegs to try new things) and you’ve already got an exceptional axle system.

But pointing out what should be obvious (adding weight doesn’t mean it’s adding weight in the right places in all cases) doesn’t mean it’s a slam of the design. And it’s not foolish or claim that One Drop doesn’t know how to design, it’s just a statement of fact. Side effects currently do not provide a way to add rim weight.

I think side effects are in their infancy. I can see using certain materials and certain design to push weight out to the rim. It’s certainly possible, it just hasn’t been done yet. Although I’m not into hubstacks, I can see how you could make “spinning” side effects. Heck, you could make spinners just for the aesthetics of it. :wink:

In short: I don’t see people being negative! Au contraire, seeing a lot of love here.

Back on topic: this model looks awesome. I love the design of the cups, and would love to see a full-on profile pic. I wonder what the catch zone looks like, viewed straight-on? I dunno… One Drop always impresses me, and this one is no exception! Looking forward to seeing the production model.

1 Like

It’s a bit First World Problems to complain about what Side Effects don’t do. All non-Side Effect yoyos have the same limitations - you should be complaining about those too if you really care about it.

You don’t HAVE to change the Side Effects but it’s a nice option to have (if you don’t, it is exactly like every other yoyo in your case). Plenty of people like the ability to change the look and feel of their yoyos and Side Effects allow this to happen easily and without issue.

Also it is simply not true that Side Effects don’t affect rim weight. Rim weight is a relative concept. By reducing center weight, you are effectively adding rim weight (you are changing the ratio).

I am really proud of Side Effects as they are a superior axle system in every way over a tapped one. There are invisible advantages on the manufacturing side, the axle system is replaceable, players can safely and easily modify their yoyos, and the system is universal (all Side Effects fit in all Side Effect yoyos).

This year we are doubling down on Side Effects. We invested in a very expensive machine that is dedicated to making Side Effects so the availability is going to increase a ton (it already is - look at the Side Effect stock here at YYE).

3 Likes

True words about the relativity of rim weight! If the yoyo’s default side effects are not ultralights, switching to ultralights will make the relative rim weighting different.

It’s still true that you can’t “add” rim weight, but I also agree that it’s kind of a non-point to “complain”; on the other hand I genuinely didn’t think people were “complaining” per se. Maybe I read it differently. :wink:

Taking absolutely everything out of the equation, as I said already, it’s just a great axle system simply in terms of holding an axle and keeping two halves together. There’s none better.

Availability increasing can only be good… haven’t been able to find discs in the colour I want.

da5id, do you know where one might find a full weight chart? There’s a partial one in the YYE store, but seeing every available SE compared would be sweet!

Neat. I did not know about the RSM. Thanks for the link!

Well thanks for the facts,Zammy! Now if you don’t mind,I’m gonna go in a corner and cry my eyes out because I really wanted that to be someone’s sig. But I will buy it when it’s released…

Implying I meant the design of the yoyo was unintelligent. If you weren’t busy sounding like you have to come to the concept’s rescue, you’d understand what I said.

I’ve said (and I’m sure you recall) on numerous occasions that Side Effects are a great idea, and that OneDrop yoyos are very well designed and built. However, most of the models I’ve played never achieved a “perfect” state with me, as, even though the model is well designed in its neutral un-tweaked form, when I’ve added weight it feels like “dead” weight, not anything that has benefit to the design or play besides slowing it down. Hence “unintelligent”, or otherwise “slapped on” weight.